Use of solar panels in chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by klinekoop4, Apr 8, 2011.

1. klinekoop4

klinekoop4 New Egg

Mar 5, 2011
    Don't want to go to the expense of running electric up to my coop and have considered buying a small solar panel to charge a 12 volt battery to run the lights. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. kidd42

kidd42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    I'm interested in this as I have a large solar panel taken off an old trailer that I've been throwing around the idea also. My panel will pull 24 volts and that was on a cloudy day and it was dirty when we tested it. the electricians at work are drawing me up a diagram and instructions on how to hoop it up and a parts list. They said that I could use LED lights without any issue's, but in order to use a 150 watt heat lamp I would peoabbaly need 6 batteries for storage.

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG]

Solar facinates me.

I wish I could figure out what to do to make everything solar.

Actually anything, since I've studies and studies and still can't figure out what I need to do. LOL

4. TNChick721

TNChick721 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Oneida, TN
    I like this idea!! Thats what I want to do. I would really like to have them on my house.

5. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:Me too

I've wanted this for years

6. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Harbor Freight carries motion and security lights powered by small solar panels. The reviews aren't the best, but then again, the price is low. You could make one of your own or rework one if you wanted. I'm thinking about it.

7. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    For a heat lamp you will need a battery bank of some sort. You don't need a heat lamp during the day when the sun's shining. I know some folks may think I'm crazy for saying this, but typically you'll save money and hassle by insulating really well and controlling humidity.

If you're just wanting it for a light so you can see, a small solar panel and a deep cycle battery will do you just fine. Just make sure you turn the light off [​IMG]. It's really simple to wire up. You can get all kinds of direct current appliances, lighting included. The wiring is simpler than you'd think, once you get the idea in your head it's just about flowing energy from one terminal to the other. Close the loop, stick a lightbulb in there and voila you have light. Unhook that loop (aka turn off the switch) and voila no more light.

Good luck! [​IMG]

8. TNChick721

TNChick721 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Oneida, TN
    Quote:My DH and I have seen these and been talking about getting them. Just didn't know if they would be good or not. If you get them and end up liking them let us know.

9. Laurasfamily

Laurasfamily New Egg

May 22, 2015
    There are more and more solar panels owners nowadays, though it seems that people don’t still use all their power. It is interesting to read forums where people share their thoughts and experience. I think that people, who are only going to buy PV panels have an opportunity to decide where to install solar panels and to choose really the best place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by