Use vinager to clean eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicknduck, Jul 28, 2010.

1. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    I have been told to sray vinager on eggs to remove the enzimes and then rinse before storing? Has anyone else heard of this or do this?

2. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Quote:The only time I wash eggs is if they are dirty, and only with cold water! Eggs shells are porous, what ever you clean them with can penetrate into the egg.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    No way! The only thing you would remove would be the bloom. The bloom is a top coat if you will that the hen applies to the egg at the end of the laying process. Keeps the egg much fresher for a longer period of time.
    I don't wash my eggs before refrigerating. Small amounts of dirt I wipe off with a paper towel. I rarely see a really dirty egg, I'm religious about keeping my nestboxes clean, but really dirty ones go to the dogs.
    Wash before using.
    ETA: If you must wash an egg, you should do so in warm water only (at least 20 degrees warmer than the egg itself). Eggs are porous. Using cold water causes the contents of the egg to shrink, pulling dirt & bacteria into the interior of the egg. Using warm water causes the egg contents to swell, pushing dirt and bacteria out and away.

http://smallfarm.about.com/od/farmanimals/a/eggcollecting.htm

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  4. chicknduck

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    That is what I thought. My grandmother in law told me to do this but I didnt agree at all. I just rinse with water the tempature of the egg. I knew I would get the right info hear if I asked. Thanks.

5. karl E lutz

karl E lutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    I have to wash all eggs intended for sale. I use warm water and organic wash from murray mcmurray.I know that takes off the bloom but the ida requires it on eggs intended for sale.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  6. Tiffany

Tiffany Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Quote:Oh wowo that was really helpful.. I never would have thought of that but it is the fame for getting facials and stuff. I learn so much here, I love it.

7. chicknduck

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Quote:Thank you for the link.

8. Tater n Beans

Tater n Beans Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Extreme South Texas
  9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:No offense, but that seems more geared to commercial production than backyard flocks. I've seen eggs for sale at the farmer's co-op that were absolutely filthy. Poop and feathers stuck to them. I sell eggs only to farm families and I don't even have to tell them that the eggs are unwashed. They'd be surprised if they were washed. Same goes for the eggs being fertile. They know I have a roo, they know what happens when you put a roo with hens and they don't expect to get unfertile eggs.

10. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Vineger leaches calcium upon prolonged contact (vinegar and chicken bone for example), so I can't imagine it's doing anything helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by