1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. farmercharlie

farmercharlie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2008
    Central Illinois
    I'm not sure where to post this... Just guessing here, do I shovel the used bedding into the run for a time, before composting?
    Thanks, Charlie

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I do that & I just love the results. I end up with mulch, rather than wood chips which tend to blow around. Also, the run has been cleared of any and all growth by my hungry hens, so it is nice to have some cover for the mud.
    [​IMG]

3. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

I just take it down to the compost pile and let it compost all on its own - adding to it then turning. Rain helps compost it faster.

My girls coop gets cleaned out once a week (actual coop) and the pen gets cleaned out 3 times a week (yes, I'm a little picky when it comes to cleaning the coop/pen) [​IMG]. I just put down 6 bags of play sand and mixed it in with some DE. They love it and it helps keep thier feet clean and less muddy when it rains, easier to rake the droppings out of the pen as well.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Unless you live in a very dry climate, or have a moderately dry climate plus a well-protected (like, roofed) run, putting any meaningful amount of bedding into the run will turn into Stink Stew pretty quickly, followed by an explosion of the local fly population, followed by making whatever mud your run gets much worse.

You can get away with doing it to a limited extent in some situations, but as a general rule, I wouldn't recommend it.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. kycklingar!

kycklingar! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Linköping, Sweden
    I just throw it right on the garden. It fertilizes, and the chips are REALLY good at holding the moisture in the soil.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by