Used Blu-Kote; Now attacking each other more

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RoseyB, Dec 1, 2012.

1. RoseyB

RoseyB Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2012
    Auburn, WA
    We noticed black spots on combs and waddles of our three hens and thought either fowl pox or picking on each other. We thought (thinking is always a bad idea) that by putting blu-kote on it would help with healing. After carefully dabbing on their sores we saw that our BO was being attacked by both the others. She has a small sore on her nose and waddle now. We brought her in the house, but we're wondering what the next best course of action should be. The purple will not wash off and will have to wear off (probably a couple days to lighten up?). Are we doing her more harm than good by bringing her inside away from the others? Should we put her back in the coop after dark? Should she stay inside until her comb isn't purple? I feel bad that by trying to help them we've made the situation much worse. Thanks for any feedback.

2. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    The primary concern, and the best reason to isolate the bird, is the fowl pox itself ... it will run it's course w/in a few weeks, and then those infected won't spread it to the rest of your flock. By then? The blue-kote will possibly have worn off ... alcohol and scrubbing might help get rid of it, but that might be needlessly hard on the chicken ~'-)

3. RoseyB

RoseyB Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2012
    Auburn, WA
    Thank you for your reply cowcreekgeek. There are just three hens and they all have it, For what it's worth, the black spots seem to be better (they weren't that bad to begin with) and all were treated with the blu-kote. It was put on the BO the most (think purple mohawk). I would post a photo, but am too embarrassed. We put her back in the hen house after dark and she did just fine overnight. Today Thelma (GLW) is picking on Martha (BR), and Martha is picking on Victoria (BO). We have created little monsters by trying to help them. Maybe someone else can learn by our mistake.

4. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    The best part of sharing our own error(s) is the opportunity to prevent another's, but there's also a good chance you could correct this behavior before they get it set in their tiniest little brains that pickin' on one another's wound is a good idea ... with only three? splittin' your flock only requires two sections of wire (and, extra waterers, unless you can wire to it as a shared position ~'-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by