1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

used bricks as a floor for ground level coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ima57boomer, Jun 18, 2011.

1. ima57boomer

ima57boomer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Just wondering if anyone has ever done this. I have a large supply of used bricks, and rather than pouring a concrete floor, which I am not going to do, I thought maybe I would build the coop (or rather 8 x 8 shed), then lay a layer of used bricks on the floor. The roost, nest boxes, etc. would either be free-standing or attached to the side walls somehow. We live on a farm and have untold number of odds and ends of building materials scattered around between sheds, barns, etc. I'm new to chickens, and I thought a shed might be good, since if something happens to the birds, or life's circumstances change (DH and I are 60-ish), the shed could then be used for storage. Of course if I used the bricks, I would put a generous layer of pine shavings or clean straw over it. Any thoughts? btw...I plan on having an attached run.

2. ima57boomer

ima57boomer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    I think I should have done a search before I posted this. I've talked myself out of using them. I think just the ground would make more sense, if indeed the 8 x 8 is what I go with. I have ten birds.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You would need to lay them as if laying a paver patio -- level the ground beneath them, then put in a good thickness of screenings (making sure that finished height, with bricks, will be slightly ABOVE surrounding ground level, especially important in a coop) and tamp the dampened screenings very hard to extreme levelness, then lay the bricks.

They will not be digging-predator-proof (b/c of their small size), but they do have some virtues if you don't mind the extra work.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    The only issue I could see is if you are just setting them in and not laying them, it will be tough to clean and crub will get in between. Not a big concern so I say either way, go ahead.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have a dirt floor coop, have had them in the past, and don't want anything different. Really it depends on your management style. Some people clean coops weekly and some once or twice a year like I do, using the litter for compost. Mine have an oversize coop and large yard, they never smell, and they are healthy and happy. (I think it's an 11x17 coop, 70x70 yard, 20 chickens at the moment.)

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Maybe you could use the bricks around the coop to keep predators from digging in. I like dirt floors. I don't wanna build the floor & then have to build the coop as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by