Used DE for the first time

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by arenea74, Apr 28, 2011.

1. arenea74

arenea74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    I have no questions. I just wanted to say that the food grade DE is not what I was expecting. It reminds me of flour. I thought it would be more "sandy" in texture. I thought I read that it's good to let the chickens dust bathe in it but obviously I need to mix it in something. I cleaned the coop (also for the first time) and sprinkled it on top of the pine shavings. I also sprinkled it on the sand in their run. Some of them had white feet before I finished. I sprinkled some inside my dog's house while I was at it.

My flock is 14 weeks old. They had no bugs or issues. My dog had no fleas. I simply did some reading on this DE. I saw the bald bottoms of some of my mom's girls and I want to avoid this. It also looks like it will help keep things dry here in my damp climate.

Thanks for reading [​IMG]

2. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    If you don't like the dust of DE, you can also try Stall Dry or Sweet PDZ. Stall Dry is the same stuff but in a sandy texture.

3. arenea74

arenea74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for those. I guess I don't mind it being dusty but I have been known to change my mind [​IMG]

4. Mallory

Mallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Walbridge, Ohio
    Thanks for posting your experience with it. I have been waffling back and forth about whether or not I want to use it. At this point in time, I'm leaning towards getting some. LOL But like you said, I change my mind a lot.

5. RonB

RonB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Woodinville
    If your chicks have white feet, you might be using too much DE. make sure you mix it in. I love the stuff. I even sprinkle a little in their nest box

6. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    do you guys mix it in or just sprinkle it and let it settle?

7. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    I used it for the first time this past week. Cleaned out the coop. Sprinkled it on the floor. Covered it with shredded paper. Has made a HUGE difference in the flies and gnats. Does dry out the coop some in our humid FL weather. Put some on the fire ant mounds. Doesn't kill them, just makes them move elsewhere and it won't hurt the chickens or dogs if they get in to it.

8. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    We have been using DE for years on kitten rescues for fleas, around our house for flies and ants, on our own cats, we mix it in tehir catbox for odor and worms, and I mix it in their food as a natural dewormer. I pour their cat food in a big bin, add a couple cups and it covers the food before serving. It is like flour..I use a hand held flour sifter to dispense it and it will work in by itself. If you watch a chicken dust bathe, they use a lot of very fine dust as well..you will see people barking about lung issues with it..you REALLY have to inhale this stuff and A LOT of it to cause any problems. Heck, if you drink too much water, you will kill yourself too.......

9. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Quote:if you continue to put DE on the ant hills, over time it WILL kill them. DE works as tiny shards of glass that dry them out..on ants, it takes a few applications but we have dramatically decreased our active ant hills with it.

10. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    Quote:thanks for the tip, i didn't know that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by