used dried coffee

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Tikvah, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Tikvah

Tikvah New Egg

Feb 17, 2012
    I read somewhere that used tried coffee dregs can be used in a quail sand bath. Has anyone tried it and are there any drawbacks. Health issues or anything... I'm currently using chinchilla clay but it creates so much dust and lasts just a few hours. I thought if I used both together the coffee dregs might add some substance to the clay and prevent it flying everywhere.

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    You could use peat moss or sand

3. CaloosaBirds

CaloosaBirds Just Hatched

Nov 22, 2016
    I haven't used coffee grinds, but I would be worried they'd eat it (because they will.)

I go to my local ACE and buy bags of topsoil and a bag of playsand. I mainly use the topsoil for them, but sprinkle a half cup or so of the sand on top. Then, when it gets full of shavings or dries too much, I dump it (in my garden) and refill with more.

4. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I would also worry about them eating a lot of it. Caffeine is not good for animals. I buy bags of sand (never play sand) from the hardware store to replenish my cages. I just dump it in because my cages are all on the ground.

5. CaloosaBirds

Nov 22, 2016
    Why not the playsand?

6. lomine

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I've read in multiple places that ingesting play sand can cause impacted crop so I avoid it. It's because it's so fine.

7. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I heard that chinchilla show sand is dust free? I've never tried it. I don't think the coffee idea is ideal - I feel the quail would eat some and as another poster mentioned, caffeine is bad for animals let alone those as tiny as a quail.

I've had them bathe in their food box which has bigger pellets, not crumbles lol so anything they bathe in will be thrown everywhere. I cut little cardboard boxes to have three high walls and about a two inch front wall they can hop into, seal any hole spots with duct tape of necessary and you have a sandbox with less waste and you can throw it away when it gets poopy :p usually once a month or so for me. You can also line it with newspaper to make it last longer.

8. jojackc

jojackc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2016
    I buy the paver sand in size medium. They usually have it in three sizes. I then mix it 50/50 with peat moss. I then put them in those pink medical containers that they give you at the hospital just in case you might puke. My wife is an RN so I get them for free when ever I need them. But its not often. Since they are plastic they are easy to wash.

9. CaloosaBirds

Nov 22, 2016
    Interesting on the playsand! Thank you Iomine. I never use very much, I use mostly topsoil, but the sand seems to help break down the sometimes larger clumps of dirt. (I fill a plastic shoebox container...cheap at dollar stores!...about 1/3rd full of topsoil, then add maybe 1/4-1/2 cup playsand sprinkled on top.) I have been using this mix for several years (I wanted something that was inexpensive and that would be of benefit to my FL sand-filled garden) and have never had a bird with impacted crop. They are always so excited they jump in and it's mixed in with the dirt in seconds.

10. lomine

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    And you may never have a problem. It may be one of those things that's very uncommon but I figured why chance it. If I have to buy sand anyway might as well get the paving sand.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by