used genisis 1588 questions- temp is off

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AHappychick, Jan 18, 2010.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I bought a used genesis 1588 from a BYC member. It is in great shape but now that it has been running 2 days I can safely say it is running at 97-98 degrees not the usual 99.

I tested my thermometer by putting it in the other 3 Genesis I have running and they all read 99.7 or higher so I know the thermometer is correct.

I know these are preset and usually run perfect. I do not know if the other owners had re calibrated it or not I sent them an e-mail.

I have the manual but I am scared to mess with it and it is somewhat confusing.

My question is is there some other thing I can do to see why the temp is off or will I have to re calibrate it and if I do will that work? I don't want to loose my eggs as I need a bator to work on my lavender silkies and don't have much time to loose. I am afraid I will make things worse as I am not very handy with machines.

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I had the same problem with mine. If you are hesitant to do what the manual says, you may try calling GQF. They were very helpful when I had problems. Their number is 1.912.236.0651. Tell whoever answers what your problem is, and they will direct you to the right person to take care of it.

3. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Well I finally noticed that it had a reset to factory setting so I think I did that correctly. i am waiting now to see if the temp is correct I hope so because fiddling with it makes me nervous for some reason. [​IMG]

4. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    [​IMG]

Just curious about your results. [​IMG]

Ed

5. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    nope reseting only brought it up to 98.2 so I am going to have to call them today as I have no idea how to bring it up 1 degree

6. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    ok after a phone call, Thank you so much bigredfeather for the number, I have finally reached the magic number 99.7 [​IMG] which is what my themometer reads in the same place in my other 2 genesis bators so I think it is perfect now.

Ahhhhh 41 more places to put eggs [​IMG]

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!

7. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:You're welcome. After I adjusted mine it held the correct temp for a few days, then started to climb a bit. Not sure if it was my bator, or if they all do it, so make sure to keep a close watch. If it climbs, move down a number on the control board.

BTW: Are from WC Ohio?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by