Used Orange Oil on BAD case of Scaley Leg Mites...NOW---UGH!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beegirl, Apr 13, 2012.

1. beegirl

beegirl New Egg

Nov 19, 2007
    I've seen many places that you can use Orange Oil and felt like it must be okay to use on Scaley Legs Mites too. Some of the other treatments are very toxic, so it seemed like a good idea. Until, I read here, not to use it directly on the birds only on coops. The evening before last is when I dunked Golda's feet and legs. She's old and surly but has been a strong and regular layer. Yesterday and today, she's got a completely soaked bottom from all manner of egg contents and I've seen two soft shell tubes passed. She's still acting like she needs to lay, heaving bottom and standing with closed eyes in the shade. She looks bad, she's usually always on the go and. I don't want to try the wrong thing first, what should I do~! Please help....Vinegar Douche first? She has no appetite. Thank you for your suggestions!!!~~I hope she'll make it through this.[​IMG] Joni

2. beegirl

beegirl New Egg

Nov 19, 2007
    Update on Golda.. [​IMG] ...So Far!! I did do a light vinegar/water flush douche on her vent. By late this afternoon....she seemed to stop having the urge to lay, walked around, scratched and ate some. I won't know about the egg situation until later, but at least she showed some signs of improvement. It's so upsetting and frustrating to cause our beloved birds problems, in the process of trying to solve other problems. Sometimes, wait and see is good and sometimes it's dire straits that require urgent attention. Wish us luck and recovery for later today.... [​IMG] Thank you for being here!!!

3. jess5254

jess5254 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Maine
    I use vaseline on my chickens when they get scaly leg mites. I have had very good luck with that. Just put the vaseline all over the legs once a day for until you notice improvement. My chickens don't seem to mind and it is not noticable to the other chicks so they don;t bother each other. I hope this helps Good Luck :)

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

First of all, why would you use a "douche" on a chicken? How do you know if you got it up into the oviduct as opposed to the intestines? I would NOT do that again-did someone advise you to do that?

And no, you don't use orange oil directly on a bird. For leg mites, plain old bag balm or vaseline is fine.

She sounds like she may have egg yolk peritonitis or perhaps she is egg bound. If she is egg bound, that means an egg is actually stuck and cannot pass. If you lube your finger and can reach up into the oviduct and can feel it, you may be able to ease it out. If you cannot feel an actual egg, it is probably more serious.

These threads may be helpful to you.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ences-on-egg-reproduction-production-necropsy

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=362422

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=195347

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by