Used straw for mulch

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Babe77, May 31, 2011.

1. Babe77

Babe77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Williamsburg, MI
    During the winter months, our chickens would not leave the coop unless we placed some straw down over the snow. Now we are left with semi matted down straw in the run that could stay there for the rain and muck factor but has anyone used such for mulching in their vegetable gardens around plants?

TIA...

JoAnne

2. suburbanite

suburbanite Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    as far as mulch, I don't know. I couldn't see it really hurting anything, unless it was really matted down with chicken poop.
    I think I would just put it in the compost pile to till into the soil this fall, that's what I do with all the bedding from my birds' houses

3. Babe77

Jun 11, 2009
    Williamsburg, MI
    thanks, we generally do that with the pine shavings from the coop.

4. buckboy101

buckboy101 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Yeah we put ours in the compost pile for our garden

5. Chickenberry

Chickenberry Chillin' With My Peeps

I think that's a great idea! We have put hay/straw around our garden in the past and it really helped with saving moisture.. and with weeds too!

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Pooey straw is really high-octane mulch [​IMG]... it should be regarded as mulch PLUS fertilizer, and if not composted first it can certainly be enough to 'burn' some plants. So compost first or use with care. Just having it sit in the run since winter does not count as composting btw since it will have continued to recieve fresh inputs.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

7. Babe77

Jun 11, 2009
    Williamsburg, MI
    thanks for the input everyone... to the composter it goes !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by