used tea bags as food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mjuenem, Aug 11, 2011.

1. mjuenem

mjuenem Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Putnam Co.
    Tossed used lipton teabag into the run. This afternoon all that was left was the string and tag. Any reason why I shouldnt toss a used teabag into the stuf they eat daily?

Thanks

Mark

2. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Why are you wanting to feed them tea bags? Did you read or hear that there was some benefit from it?

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Not sure about the benefits or disadvantages, but DO NOT put the string in there! Lots of threads regarding fatal and near fatal incidents from chickens having access to strings.

The only thing I see from used tea is possible crop impaction if they got enough. I, too, am curious as to why?

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    If you do it, empty the bag in a bowl or something first. The bag and string can be dangerous...
    I had a baby that got a string wrapped around its tongue.... yeah... not good.
    I'd also worry about the caffeine in the tea being okay for them to have?...

5. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Do you know how much stuff gos into that stuff? There is way to many cemicals in those that we may be able to handle but chickens can not. Plus caffine is not very good for poultry they are already hyper enough. But thats just my personal veiw. Then again I am very aware of the stuff that gos into my ducks mouths. And I am alway afraid if they eat something that may harm them. I also dont feed them anything like that, I feed mine a diet of weat and chicken scratch. So they are as healthy as posible. But im also a paranoyed freak! So if you want to feed them that its at your own risk.

6. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    I love tea but I honestly don't think I would feed them the tea bags. Or coffee grounds for that matter.

7. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:In addition to the string being harmful, there is a tiny staple holding the string to the tea bag label.

8. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Quote:Hmm...I read somewhere that feeding salmon gives the eggs omega three...if I feed them coffee grounds could I get caffeine in my eggs??? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Quote:Hmm...I read somewhere that feeding salmon gives the eggs omega three...if I feed them coffee grounds could I get caffeine in my eggs??? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by