Used the wrong DE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rlh1, Mar 16, 2013.

  1. rlh1

    rlh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

    308
    9
    93
    Mar 9, 2013
    Carbondale KS
    I think I made a bad mistake. We put 3 cups of sand with 1 cup DE in with our two babies. But it wasn't food grade. I didn't even know there was a difference until an hour later. I'm so upset and scared. It's been about two hours since I took it out and they only had it for about 1 hr. Is there anything I can do? They seem fine right now but...
    Please help.
     
  2. DaddyBird

    DaddyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

    212
    22
    81
    Mar 8, 2013
    They are probably fine.Food grade means you and I can eat it according to the FDA. Chickens ingest dirt, sand and rocks to help process food naturally. All DE is is silcone shells off oceanic single cell organisms- basically itty-bitty pieces of glass. This is what they use to make the grittiness in toothpastes. It wreaks havok on the respiratory systems of insects and internal parasites. I would always opt for food grade if available but wouldn't fret about it unless you see your chickens acting differently.
     
  3. rlh1

    rlh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

    308
    9
    93
    Mar 9, 2013
    Carbondale KS
    Ok. Thank you. I feel better.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by