Used Tractors (Pictures)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mjdtexan, Oct 22, 2008.

1. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I have been in the market for a used tractor for about a month now. Its come down to a Case IH 1140 or a Ford 8N. The Case is more expensive by far at $5000. Then I need implements because I want to dig post holes for our soon to be cow pasture and I want to move dirt around. I started out only wanting a few head of cattle and accidently found this site and now have chickens on order but thats anothe thing all together. Its kinda stressful because I dont want to buy the wrong machine and all of that. I've never had a tractor bigger than a riding lawnmower and the Case IH is a compact tractor so its not that much bigger but its diesel and pretty powerfull. So, just venting, thanks for letting me vent.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  2. mjdtexan

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Purchased the Case IH 1140 today for $4000. Its pretty cool. All kinds of pedals and levers and buttons. The belly mower is HUGE. Took me 15 minutes to cut the front yard. Ok, thats it for now.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hey mjd! I just found an excellent use for our bigger tractor the other day.
    It was time to clean out the coop, but our ranger with the dump bed is in the shop. My SO put the dump bucket on the Massey Ferguson and drove it right up to the coop door. I was able to shovel the coop out right into the bucket. Filled it twice. He took the used shavings and dumped em off away from the coop. Took all of 30 minutes to get all the old shavings out, floor swept, and new shavings down.
    Edited for spelling. I sooo need a nap.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    You are much better off with the Case. I've never be very impressed with the 8N's. They are usually overpriced for a 60 year old tractor and far to often not up to the job. Just an "Old Rooster's" opinion. Good Luck and I'm glad you found BYC.

5. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    [​IMG] I have a JD and a 9n. the 9n is powerful enough but boy it's rough , hard to start , and rough like bull riding a bushhog for 6hrs [​IMG]

6. mjdtexan

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Here it is

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by