used wormer now hens setting on eggs will they be ok and hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mama dixie, Sep 24, 2011.

1. mama dixie

mama dixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    I wormed my chickens and did not collect the eggs for two days. two of the hens went broody and are setting will the eggs be ok and do you think they will hatch? also I have noticed that egg production is way down from like 7 eggs a day now that they are setting I only get one or two a day. at first I thought they were laying them in the nests the hens were on but I checked, got pecked alot for that, and there were no new eggs. it has been like two weeks and I keep lisining and I dont hear anything. I put little red my tiny red cochen in a separet hutch. she is still in the coop but has a nice safe place to set the others were beting her up and stealing her nest. it is strange they take turns setting on the eggs weirdest thing I have ever seen. if I go over to stink eye's nest like three of the hens follow me and look as if they want to attack me if I get to close to her. is it possible they will all mommey these babies?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. mama dixie

Aug 11, 2011
    yes I have a roo and this hen that is sitting has mated many times all the hens have, I actualy have to many rues. this hen has layed eggs before both of them have. I am just worried about the wormer killing the baby eggs... do you think the eggs will mature ?

4. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

id candle them in 5 days and see if theres veins in them, i have no idea if wormer wil leffect them or not

5. mama dixie

Aug 11, 2011
    well it has been almost two and a half weeks I am going to candle them. what is the best way I still use a flash light in the dark. I so hope they get like one baby each at least they areworking so hard at sitting. I will candle them tonight and will try to get my husbend to take pictures... keep good thoughts and prayers oh and if I am not being greedy pray for hens :O

6. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

good luck!! keep us posted, i use a common flashlight to candle mine. i hope they r growing!

7. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Good chance they will be ok, there may be some warnings against hatching eggs durring the worming withdrawal period, but that may be on the precautionary side and the chick will be fine.[​IMG]

8. mama dixie

Aug 11, 2011
    woo hoo we have three baby chicks [​IMG] it is amazing. stink eye the hen that was on the floor and would not be put in a caged area with her eggs hatched two so far. they look to be cochin bantams black with some white on them and look like little pengun's I moved her nest a bit and put a cage with no botom around her and her babies gave her food and water and she settled down and ate and ate and ate. she is happy and still setting on the nest. little red in the rabit hutch has one baby it is also a cochin and is black with yellow on the tips of the wings and some cute markings on the face [​IMG] she is also still sitting on more eggs. I have been praying they would each get at least one for all there hard work. they let me hold them so I will try to post pictures. the other hens seem to be loving the babies but one rue we have was agresive and chased stink eye off the nest that is why I put the cage around her. I so hope they are hens....

woo hoo I am so glad for the momies they worked so hard

9. mama dixie

Aug 11, 2011
    hoo hoo up to 10 babies now [​IMG] mama's are doing good teaching babies how to eat and drink and other hens are curies at look at the babies/ some are in a dog kennel on the floor the hens can see in. one got out and a hen walked up to it I was so scared I was on the outside trying to get the lock open the hen just flufed up and sat on the baby and squacked like abanchie when a roo came by. the baby went back to mom and the other hen looked so sad I gave her a treat she was ok then. if only humans could learn to look out for each others little ones this way.

10. mama dixie

Aug 11, 2011
    I took the rest of the eggs away from little red yesterday she has 10 babies and is so so thin she needs to eat and drink and put some weight back on. I gave the eggs to another bird who is very broodie and in a mood. I dont think they will hatch but who know. little red and stink eye are loving being mom's and are so good at it. I am showing all this to my son and he thinks it is so cool. I am a bit worried about how he will take it when we need to get rid of the roos but it is all life on the farm I guess. how many are usualy roo's in a hatch like this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by