useing shreded paper

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lilith55, Mar 17, 2011.

1. lilith55

lilith55 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    We have a very big shredder and between the junk mail that we get and bills we shred alot !Usually the paper is destined for my compost but then i had a thought what about the chicken coop? Has anyone used shredded paper for older chicks and adult birds? If so do you change it more often? I would still use have for the nest boxes bu I was thinking sand in their run but why by shavings when we have all this paper?

2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    They might eat the paper.

3. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    I use shredded newspaper in packing hatching eggs.... I wouldn't put it in a coop, though. Just doesn't seem like it would work that well. It flattens out quick and if wet it will fall to pieces making cleaning the coop a headache.

4. lilith55

Mar 8, 2011
    will they also eat the shavings? I would only put older chickens with it because i have red little chicks don't know what their food is yet

5. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Quote:They bite at alot of things but they don't swallow everything. I use the bigger flake pine just incase but out of the rotating 150+/- chickens I have or have had... no one ever had impacted crop. I used to use straw and I also have witnessed the chickens eat long pieces of hay. Never a impacted crop (or a egg bound hen for that matter).... somethings are just not as common as people let you believe.

Still possible, but not as likely as you would worry about.

6. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I use shredded paper for bedding for chicks exclusively, without problem. I also use it in the coop, however it tends to flatten out rather quickly so it is mixed with pine shavings and straw. It is not as quite as absorbent as the shavings but it is free so it works out in the end. I really have not noticed having to change it anymore frequently, but it doesn't hurt to turn it every so often so it doesn't compact too much. Hope this helps.

7. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    I'm using shredded newspaper and white paper and it works just fine. It does flatten down but when it gets damp, it does not fall apart. I scoop poop regularly and turn it over and replace all the paper about every 2 weeks. I use it in my nest box (actually hanging planter sitting in a corner) and it does just fine. Does stick to the eggs a little, but better than the mud she insisted on laying in before.

The chickens do not eat the paper. But they free range all day and only go into coop to sleep. I put the poop/paper combo in the compost pile, which the chickens promptly turn over and scratch for me.

Better than throwing it in the trash.

8. lilith55

Mar 8, 2011
    I think when i go chickeny i'll try it. Its free and if it works out so much the better. I also am thinking about poop trays so hopefully most of the poop will go on the trays.thanks for all the advice. Does anyone have pics of their copes with paper?

9. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    my avatar is the inside of my coop with the paper. and my cat in the coop.

10. carsonseggs

carsonseggs New Egg

Dec 20, 2010
    In my nest box, I have been using shredded leaves. I figure, hey why not recycle. I change it out every so often and seems to be working okay.

Josh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by