Uses for a 55 gallon barrel

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Want Less, May 18, 2010.

1. Want Less

Want Less Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    New Bern, NC
    We have a 55 gallon barrel that has about a 6 inch crack on the bottom. We've tried patching it but it still leaks so we're retiring it as a rain barrel. (It previously caught water from the barn roof for our horses)

The barrel is heavy red/brown plastic, does not have a lid, and does not hold water obviously. Since it doesn't have a lid, we can't use it for storing feed and such. We don't need another compost barrel.

Any creative ideas for repurposing our barrel? We live on a small farm with horses, chickens and organic gardens and we try to repurpose things when we can. I'm up for any and all ideas. I'm curious as to what creative things you guys do with barrels [​IMG]

2. Stevo

Stevo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    If it was steel you could cut it in half and make a nice pig roaster. Plastic I have no ideer lol. Have you tried 2 part apoxy to fix it?

3. Want Less

Want Less Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    New Bern, NC
    Quote:Yeah we've tried a few ways to patch it but to no avail. Since we were using it for watering the horses we also had to be careful what we used to patch it. It's no loss though, we have plenty of rain barrels that will hold water so it's been replaced already. Just don't want to toss this one with the crack... there's gatta be a use for it. :)

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Cut off the bottom. drill holes in it, and use it as a compost bin.
    It might work.
    but i don't know nuttin for sure anymore. [​IMG]

5. doubled

doubled Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Madrid, New Mexico
    cut it in half longways, turn the halves cut side down, add runs and have a couple of mini tractors.

6. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    put a plastic garbge bag in it and use for storage?

Maybe turn it on its side and use as a turkey nest box? how bout a planter lol [​IMG]

7. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Hi, I saw a very similar post somewhere else [​IMG] .

Looks like you're getting more responses here.

Use it for storing aluminum cans or other things until you take them to the recycling center.

8. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Put a heavy plastic bag in it and store feed or hay.

9. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    we cut ours in half long ways and use them for mineral feeders and water troughs. you can also put it on it's side and use it as a dog house. I have seen them cut in half and used as small garden plots/planters.

10. skeeter03

skeeter03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Vernon
    You could cut it into rings and use it for a potato planter - put your potatoes in the ground then as it grows add a ring and fill with dirt so that the potatoes keep growing up and in the end you just take the rings off and you have tons of potatoes!!!!
    gonna try this this year with old tires. we were told you can get like 50 lbs off of one plant doing that and it doesnt take up to much room.
    or use it for raised gardens like strawberries or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by