Using a Broody Chicken???????

Discussion in 'Geese' started by JordanFamily, Apr 30, 2011.

1. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    I have a chicken that is broody and was wondering yalls ideas on putting Sebastopol eggs under her? She is a medium sized standard hen. So do you think it would work? Do you think I should only let her set on them for a while or hatch them out completely? Is that even possible? How many should I give her? I know I will have to make sure they are getting turned but how often??? Thanks

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    About the only thing I'm sure of is you don't have to turn them. Mama does this and all the rest of the work. She'll do better in a private pen where the others won't bother her, and she does need to get up daily for food, water, to poop, and to get just a little exercise. Usually she will do this on her own but occasionally you get a broody who would sit there and starve if you didn't intervene.

I know chickens have hatched duck eggs so I don't see why she couldn't hatch goose eggs. She will even raise them, at least at first. How many is just going to be a matter of what she can cover. A good sized chicken can cover maybe 10 chicken eggs well. I don't even know how big a goose egg is!

ETA here's an article on broodies. It even mentions a chicken who had a clutch of chicks and took on some goslings (p. 4 I think.)

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2011
  3. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    Quote:Well a goose egg is at least 4X bigger than a chicken egg so I think I may need to help turn them if she can not.... Is there anyone on here that has used a hen that has advice??? Thanks

4. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    I would advise no more than 3-4 eggs but an ideal way to improve hatching potential. You'd be surprised how well a broody hen will manage to turn the eggs. Think of a tiny warbler incubating a cuckoo egg [​IMG] Just make sure she's fully broody.

Pete

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by