Using a desk shelf topper in coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LolaMama, Jun 15, 2019.

1. LolaMama

LolaMama In the Brooder

May 12, 2019
    Chapin, South Carolina
    So I have this unused heavy shelving unit that is supposed to screw into the top of a desk that is the exact dimensions of my coop interior. If I use it, I’ll definitely put several coats of cleanable paint on it. As I’m new to coop building, would this be a fun addition in your opinion or too much competition for the higher space? I have a 4 hen max size so I was thinking two roost bars in the wide spaces and nest boxes in the smaller ones on the right side? Or should I just go with a “regularly spaced” coop? I was planning a cabinet-style coop with the front being full double doors to clean. It’s in an enclosed run. Thoughts?
    CB021A2A-4A49-4892-8644-1C79C6D754C0.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  2. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    You might be able to use it, however you won’t want to stack to roost bars one above the other. The chickens will try to cram in the highest space, and if one is below, it will get pooped on.

The nest boxes should be lower than the roosts by at least a foot.

Maybe this could sit on the floor and be used as nest boxes, then the roosts could be above, and you could have a poop tray under the roosts. The birds will be higher than the nest boxes, and might fit all 4 birds across the top on one roost bar.

LolaMama likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Post dimensions and pics of your coop?
    Might be better off taking apart shelves and using wood.

LolaMama likes this.
  4. LolaMama

LolaMama In the Brooder

May 12, 2019
    Chapin, South Carolina
    My coop is going to be a 4’x2’ heavy plywood board on 4x4 posts with a 22” area underneath for them. The whole run is enclosed. It’s 8’ long, 5’ tall (roof will make it 6) and 4’ wide. There is also an additional run area also. I am in the process of building/designing the actual coop but the run is almost finished. The coop is planned to be in the back along the back wall and I wanted it to be a cabinet-style coop that I could open front double doors up to open it up completely during the day. Looking at the pic, the coop will be against the back smaller wall, and then the front area is a little greenhouse run that is 4’x4’x3’ and will have greens and fruits/veg for them to eat. The front open area will be a door for me to walk in. I hope this makes sense!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Acre4Me likes this.
  5. LolaMama

LolaMama In the Brooder

May 12, 2019
    Chapin, South Carolina
    That was my main worry- roost bars stacked like that. I am liking your idea! I might make some little doors for some of the openings for storage and leave 2 nest boxes. Thanks!

Acre4Me likes this.
  6. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    YW!

You should prop it up off the ground though. Unless you plan to install a floor in the coop. It looks like your ground has a small amount of standing water from a recent rain. Good Luck with the build!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: