Using a dog kennel as a coop

Discussion in 'Quail' started by cereall, Jun 27, 2016.

1. cereall

cereall Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]
    I want to get the above 10L x 10W x 6H kennel from Petsmart to use as a coop. I'm planning on putting 1/2 inch hardware cloth over all the chain link and using it in a 2 ft skirt around the bottom. I've been having trouble finding A-frame covers. Does anybody know of any frame that has a cover strong enough to keep out raccoons for about $100 or less? Or would it be better to buy just the frame and get a strong tarp separately?

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    How handy are you? You could construct a roof with 2x4 & roofing material, I'd think a raccoon will tear through a tarp. Or wire the top and then tarp over but depending on your weather conditions that may not be a good idea. More will peep in with suggestions....

3. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    I use a dog kennel for breeding and brooding turkeys.

I arched cattle panels over the top. Then stretched a tarp over that. So that gave me a top height of 11 to 12 feet. But I wanted the height for higher roosts.

I had one pen get deformed in a 80 plus mile an hour wind but it still functions.

No coon problems ripping thru the tarp yet. 1 have rehomed 9 coons, 5 possums, and a couple cats since spring came around.

For most 10x10 pens they sell universal tops for a little over 100 dollars.

4. cereall

cereall Out Of The Brooder

I thought about making a cover out of corrugated roofing, but I need to be able to disassemble it and that wouldn't work. The weather here is pretty mild though so I don't need to worry about snow or extreme weather. I found these nice looking ones at home depot and the fabric looks tough in the closeup.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    [​IMG]Looks good!

6. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    Hardware cloth on the top with a tarp over it will provide better security against coons than just a tarp will.
    I would prefer a small welded wire like 1"x1" or 1/2"x 1/2" rather than hardware cloth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by