Using a grilling basket in incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by woman_in_shoe, May 30, 2010.

1. woman_in_shoe

woman_in_shoe In the Brooder

May 26, 2010
    My daughter and I are planning on building an incubator for the first time. We will be using a cooler. I am wondering if a barbeque grilling basket with a lid, would work for the eggs? By having the handle sticking out of a hole we would be able to turn the eggs without opening the incubator.

Thanks for the help

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Songster

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    I know what you are talking about. But for the life of me, I can't remember exactly what one looks like. How will you keep the eggs from just rolling around in the basket? Is it small enough to hold them tight or will you have them secured somehow?

3. woman_in_shoe

May 26, 2010
    Here is an example of what it looks like. It appears that if it is adjusted properly that it would hold them in place and if not that paper of something could be placed in it to keep them from rolling around.

Ms.FuzzyButts :

I know what you are talking about. But for the life of me, I can't remember exactly what one looks like. How will you keep the eggs from just rolling around in the basket? Is it small enough to hold them tight or will you have them secured somehow?​

4. woman_in_shoe

May 26, 2010
  5. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Songster

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Ah, yes! It could possibly work very well. Maybe the hole for the handle wouldn't loose too much temperature or humidity. I also assume it would be removed on day 18 so they could hatch. Otherwise you would need enough bator room to open the lid. Wonderful idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by