Using a hen

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by refamat, Feb 13, 2013.

1. refamat

refamat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    Blaine, WA
    Hi all, I got 3 goose eggs from my goose before the horse scared her off the nest. I snuck them into my brooding muscovy hen's nest tonight while she was being mean girl in the pen (what a difference in size!). I've read that goose eggs in an incubator don't do so well so have nothing to loose. I think she is about 3 days ahead of the goose eggs on sitting on her nest so it may work out pretty well.
    Anyone had luck doing similar?

What about turkey eggs under her?

Thanks
    Mark

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I don't know the incubation length for goose or turkey eggs. But if she's got her own eggs under her and they are not all timed to hatch at the same time, she may leave the nest after the first babies arrive, especially if there are a few days difference.

I've never tried it just my thought.

3. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    It'll work out great. The goose eggs are about 28-30 days to hatch and muscovy are 35. Your goslings might hatch first but you can take them away, brood them for a few days until the muscovy babies are hatched, then reintroduce them to the mother at night. Most muscovy moms will take babies of any kind... but keep an eye on her for the first few days to make sure she doesn't abandon them or hurt them.

I would avoid allowing waterfowl to RAISE non-waterfowl, but as an incubator you won't find a better duck than Muscovy!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  4. refamat

Feb 16, 2012
    Blaine, WA
    Thanks!

5. refamat

Feb 16, 2012
    Blaine, WA
    Got the first gosling out today. Saw a hatched out egg shell in the nest house so we opened it up petted the hen muscovy and removed the gosling. Didn't see any ducklings yet. Two more goose eggs to hatch if they will.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by