using a pet carrier as a cage to introduce chicks to the existing floc

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stoney22, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Stoney22

Stoney22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    new hampshire
    I've been doing this now for a week today. When I let my harem of hens out to free range I let the two three week old chicks out knot the run. Should I gradually begin to allow the flock access when I am present to the two newest members

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I like to wait until everyone is about the same size. That way, if a newbie has to defend itself from an existing flock member, they're big enough to do so. If you have a laid back flock, your chicks may be fine. My flock doesn't take kindly to new members, and if I do have to introduce someone sooner than Id like, I put them on the roost at night time so everyone wakes up together. Sometime that works, sometimes it doesn't. Good luck!

3. Stoney22

Stoney22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    new hampshire
    Well I did end up letting them go yesterday they were ok with some mild to moderate picking but the little ones kinda keep to themselves their about three weeks now give or take. Hopefully they will be ok during work today.I may put them on the roost tonight. I noticed when they get bored their more apt to pick on my babies but with food they will stand right next to each other and eat with incident so I think food may be the ticket to the social introduction game

4. vsmenagerie

vsmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    I was going to ask this same question! We are getting some grown hens soon, and I plan on ordering some chicks and was wondering how to intro them and at what age. So I'll have to watch this thread [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by