Using a plastic dog create

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Guisso14, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Guisso14

Guisso14 In the Brooder

Sep 23, 2018
    Hello,

I am new to raising chickens and figured I'd give it a try. Currently I have for chicks in a haft plastic dog crate but they're at the point now where they're about to be able to fly out of it. I keep them in a room with a space heater so that the room is at a constant temperature with a light on during the day would it be okay to put the top on the dog crate with the door and they should still get an adequate amount of light? I'm not concerned about the heat as the space heater is really good at keeping a constant temperature

2. Melky

Melky Crowing

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    How old are the chicks? Can you provide picture of what you are talking about?

3. Guisso14

Guisso14 In the Brooder

Sep 23, 2018
    This is what I'm keeping them in. They are big enough now that when they flap their wings they're almost able to fly out of it. You can barely see the base of the space heater which is keeping the room at a constant temperature is at the top. I'm estimating there at least two to three weeks old. My wife pick them up at the store and I wasn't able to ask how old they already were

Attached Files:

4. Rick M

Rick M Songster

Jun 21, 2018
    Southwest Missouri
    Hello and welcome to BYC:frow

5. Guisso14

Guisso14 In the Brooder

Sep 23, 2018
    I forgot a picture of the chicks from yesterday

Attached Files:

6. Rick M

Rick M Songster

Jun 21, 2018
    Southwest Missouri
    Putting the top on the crate with the door would be ok for a little while, as long as they are getting ventilation and light. Have they started growing their feathers yet or still just fuzzy? That small of a area wont last very long with four chicks growing fast but would work if the are still small for a little while. Chickens will like a flat roost area instead of the round stick. A 2x4 with the large side flat works very well when you do something bigger for them.
    Yes they will be ok in that for a week or so looking at the size of them in your picture.

7. Melky

Melky Crowing

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    :)
    You can just cover that with a square of chicken wire and fold it over the sides to hold around the edge or put the cover on the crate. I think the sides have enough ventilation. Just make sure they stay warm enough after the change as well. Do you have a coop ready? because if you have weaned them to a room of about 65-70 degrees and they are feathered out and your overnight temps are about the same you can put them outdoors in a coop with run space. Mine went out at 4-5 weeks. I did not add heat in outside coop. By this time you will want to because odors start to form, they make a lot of chick dust, and they fly higher to reach roosts. Good Luck!:)

8. Melky

Melky Crowing

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    I was wondering where the chicks were? Totally cute. :frow Welcome!

9. snow5164

snow5164 Crowing

May 16, 2015
    Hello and welcome ,
    Putting the top on will be ok , if it’s like mine there are ventilation holes in the top too ??

I agree though that the coop has to be ready to go , not sure where you are but every week of age the temperature drops for them , starting at 95,90,85,80...

Make sure they don’t get a shock when they go outside , fall is here

10. Guisso14

Guisso14 In the Brooder

Sep 23, 2018
    Yeah I have a coupe built in my backyard but the temperatures are getting cooler here as I live in Nova Scotia and they don't have their full feathers yet so I don't think it would be a good idea to put them out there at the moment. I've seen some people use the top of the crate to make the chicken brooder longer for more space. And then they just put chicken wire over the top of the whole thing so they couldn't fly out. Does that sound like a good idea?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: