Using a Predator Against Predators

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by calista, Sep 18, 2010.

1. calista

calista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    I can just picture the reaction of your neighbors if you decided to use this auditory option as a coyote repellent near your coop:

"After losing 3 of our 20 cats to coyote attacks at our 20 acre Texas ranch home, a local hunter got together with an audio engineer to produce this 80 minute audio CD." http://www.runcoyoterun.com/

The
    CD is 80 minutes of cougar growls and screams, at 5-7 minute intervals. [​IMG]

Has anyone tried this? Supposedly, it also works against raccoons and foxes, if testimonials are to be believed. I read the FAQ page and it sounds workable. [​IMG]

2. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I wouldn't mind trying that, but can you imagine how freaked out my goats would be? Not to mention all the neighbors within hearing distance and their dogs! LOL

3. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
  4. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Quote:Lol! [​IMG]

5. calista

calista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    That was good, Farmer Jamie! So your real job is piloting drones for the military and borrowing exotic weapons to use against your coyotes, foxes, and raccoons? [​IMG]

I just really like the idea of putting a CD on a continuous loop for an auditory "force field" of protection for my flock. Hope somebody reports that it works...

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] That'd take care of the varmits! [​IMG]

7. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    We have spent the past month listening to recordings of Birds in Panic broadcast by our good neighbors protecting their grape wine crop from birds.
    Dare we *retaliate*?

8. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Wonder if it would still work on coyotes that aren't in the areas with mountain lions? If they've never heard or seen one, would they react the same to the CD?? Bet it would work to help the grape neighbors keep the birds out though! Why not take them some eggs, have a glass of wine, and play the CD? [​IMG]

9. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    And I wonder if would call in a Cougar to defend it's territory? I'd rather have the Coyotes.

Wounded rabbit call and a 30-30 will help keep that poulation in check.

10. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I had a neighbor that killed a sheep or something then drug it's body up and down all the roads and planted it in his front yard and waited with a gun from behind the door.... got alotta coyotes that way...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by