using a privacy fence panel as 1 side of the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SOchick, Jan 23, 2010.

1. SOchick

SOchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Georgia
    I need to build a new coop for my girls (I did some serious adding to my flock). My dad was going to give me my old childhood playhouse to convert into a coop, but we took a good look at it, and it is not sturdy enough to be moved [​IMG] Sooo... I get to build a new coop. I would like to build it next to my privacy fence, and was wondering what you guys think of using a fence panel as one side of the coop. The pickets are very close together/toughing, and the other 3 sides would be plywood. (similar to this one by bluie: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=3633-Coop_and_run) - not sure if she used a fence panel as a side or not. Anyway, should I just leave it as a fence panel, or cover it with a tarp/this plywood to cut down on possible drafts coming in through the pickets? Let me know what you think please [​IMG] Thanks!

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Just looked at the pictures. SHe didn't leave it or even use it as part of the coop. The fence is actually behind the coop by a few inches in the picture. SHe die attach the run to the fence and then line the inside of the fence with wire.

I wouldn't use the fence. I would build it as a unit in itself.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I wouldn't, personally. It is not going to be as strong or sound as a 'real' wall, without actually saving you any money since the wire you oughta reinforce it with will cost at *least* as much as a sheet of plywood and a coupla 2x4s; and it will prevent you from ever moving the coop without major disassembly.

JMHO, good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. SOchick

SOchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Georgia
    Thanks guys, my dad and I were having a debate over it. He thinks it would be fine, and I was on the fence (no pun intended [​IMG] )... I will show him more of the coop stuff here [​IMG]

5. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I wouold just use a wood putty to seal any cracks or places for wind to get in and go for it.. I am all for using what you have and not going crazy.. My chickens live in a plain old Plywood coop and they are fine.. i would think the fence panel would be thicker then the plywood..

6. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    I use my privacy fence for the back of 2 of my runs. It works fine. I also dont have to worry about many predators cause I live in the city [​IMG] so I don't know how good it would be at keeping predators out but i'm thinking it would be pretty sturdy. [​IMG]

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    To clarify, my security concern is that (especially as the wood ages) it becomes quite possible to push/pull/gnaw fenceboards off the fence. This doesn't happen often in a normal privacy-fence situation but I would not wanting to be putting MY "living breathing chicken dinner" just a fenceboard away from hungry raccoons and dogs and rats. I would sincerely suggest putting hardwarecloth on the inside (coop) side of the fence, securely attached, at least onthe bottom 4' or so.

There is a lot to be said for building a coop you can move, though, if circumstances change.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by