using a rabbit hutch as a coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ashylove, Jan 26, 2009.

1. ashylove

ashylove Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2009
    gboro nc
    i am new to this, and i was wondering if i can use a large(24" deep x 46-1/2" wide x 34-1/2" high) rabbit hutch for bantams? and how many would that comfortably house. i am also wanting to make a run for them(obviously), about how big would i need it to be? and another question, that really isnt suppossed to be in this forum, how many eggs can a single bantam lay in a day? thanks for all the help!!!

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    It will work fine for them. I have some of mine in a similar setup. I wouldnt go with more than 4 bantams. For a run at least a 30 sq. ft. run is enough for them, unless you just want to make it bigger. And bantams lay no more than one egg aday. [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Bantams frequently lay only every other day! They're stubborn that way! [​IMG]

Always build bigger than you expect to need. Chickens sort of grow on you. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  4. ashylove

Jan 26, 2009
    gboro nc
    thank you so much for your replys!!! this will definitly help me with finding what i need!!!!

5. ashylove

Jan 26, 2009
    gboro nc
    lol, i cant have any more than 4 right now, so until we move i can build bigger! we are also short on space!!! but i fully expect to be wanting more before i can actually have them!!!

6. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    We all end up just wanting a few, and before you know it, you want more and more. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by