Using a shed for ducks to live in...

melly83

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 29, 2012
Hi does anyone on here use a wooden shed to house their ducks ? If so could you post pictures if possible of the inside, i am getting a wooden shed (8x6ft) in 2 weeks and want to use it for my 3 ducks, they are 2 calls and an indian runner. I just need ideas on how to have the inside, i want to corner a part off to put their food and water for during the night time, also how is best to fill it, wood shavings, straw etc. thanks in advance for any ideas and advice.

Dear Melly,

I made housing for my five runner from a few pallets. Now they are all grown up (check my pictures), and now for wintertime I put around bales of straw to insulate. They can keep it warm inside with their body heat. I do not recommend food and water inside, makes things much more messy. Bedding is straw, deep straw now (I fork it upside down once when it becomes dirty), thin layer of straw in the (very hot, Hungarian) summer.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/g/i/5194005/kacsaol-kivulrol-jpg/sort/display_order/

Thanks for the reply HauiBali for the reply, my 3 currently live in a large chicken house with a ramp for access, they usually have their food in with them at nighttime as i worry they will be hungry haha, I put shavings and straw in at the moment but once i get the shed (its free) i will use the same bedding ideas i think, i wont put water in with them as i can understand they will make a mess with it. I love the house you have made for your ducks

welcome-byc.gif

Here are some photographs of the mild weather duck house.

The above shows the house with Dutch door (easy for me to access inside) and attached Veranda, where food and water are kept. Veranda floor is sawdust over sand over half inch metal hardware cloth. Entire Veranda wrapped in hardware cloth where it is not closely attached to house. There is a sliding door for the ducks from the house to the Veranda.

Above shows ventilation openings covered in half inch metal hardware cloth. Since this was taken I have added clear panel drop-ceiling for additional insulation on cold nights. Three panels allows me to adjust the size of the opening or close them up completely. Not airtight, but a little cozier.

Vinyl sheet flooring that goes several inches up the walls to keep wood from getting damp. Since this was taken I secured the edges with 1"x3" furring strips, so nothing would get in under the edges of the vinyl.

This is how we manage splash in the walkout basement - winter - pen. Works very well for a dozen small ducks (runners and buffs).

We built a mini barn of all wood, for the flooring it's solid wood and we put down rubber stall mats and then bed with a combo of shavings and horse wood pellet bedding.

Mine are Muscovy, so we have a shelf lol which sorta produces nesting areas underneath it naturally. I do keep water/feed with the main area, i use a bucket it's not that bad of a mess but i have to run hydro to the bucket for several months of the year so it's best kept indoors...

Back
Top Bottom