Using a still air to hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by EmilyOfIndiana, Apr 4, 2017.

1. EmilyOfIndiana

EmilyOfIndiana Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2013
    Centrail Indiana
    This year I did something I would never do: stagger hatch. I have eggs that are due on Sunday and eggs that are due on the 24th.

I have two incubators but one is a still air and the other has a fan.

I set all eggs in the same incubator (with fan) and have left them alone but lockdown is Thursday. Originally, I was going to move the eggs that are not due till the 24th into the still air while I lockdown the forced air but I had this kooky idea that maybe I should hatch in the still air and leave the younger eggs in the forced air.

I dry incubate by the way so I am not concerned about humidity until lockdown, so the risk of drowning is low. I was just wondering what you guys think? I know the first week and a half is crucial in eggs but would the risk be negligible?

So... in follow up: should I use my still air to incubate or to hatch?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    That still air can have a fan in it in a little---if you got a old computer fan or old computer to take the fan out of or run to radio shack and get a 12 volt fan----you got a 9 volt dc power pack to run the fan---everyone usually has them in a junk drawer.

Now to your question---I would probably hatch in the non fan one, Raise the humidity good but again it would have a fan in a little---LOL

3. EmilyOfIndiana

EmilyOfIndiana Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2013
    Centrail Indiana
    Well, if it was actually mine I would totally put a fan in it (buy one from the tractor supply for like 20 bucks) but it's a borrowed one from my cousin so I am not looking to put one in it

He couldn't be so lucky lol

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    OK----Hatch them---they will be fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by