Using a suet feeder for greens. PIX

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rebbetzin, Feb 27, 2009.

1. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    I bought this suet feeder, thinking I could put other things in it and hang it in the run to help keep the chickens entertained.

Here it is all filled up with their current favorite things, dandelion greens and different kinds of weeds and lettuces from the garden.

[​IMG]

Here they are playing Volleyball with it.

[​IMG]

And here it is empty, they can empty it pretty quick if they are hungry.

[​IMG]

2. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Yummy! [​IMG]

3. J&KV

J&KV Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    West Georgia
    I was thinking about making something like that for my girls. How does it work? Does it open up so the greens can be put in? Thanks for the pics.[​IMG]

4. keliejc

keliejc Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Waterford Township, MI
    I use one just like it. I put greens or bread rolls, etc, in it and hang it from one of the perches. It has a hinged top with a chain for hanging. It helps keep whatever is inside from getting dirty from the litter on the floor of the coop, plus it helps alleviate boredom. The chickens can clean it out pretty quick!

5. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    J&KV :

I was thinking about making something like that for my girls. How does it work? Does it open up so the greens can be put in? Thanks for the pics.[​IMG]

It has "hinges" on the bottom, and little clips that hold it closed at the top. They are usually found where bird seed and such is sold. and they are pretty cheap, I think I paid under $2.00 for the one I have.​

6. J&KV

J&KV Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    West Georgia
    Thanks, my chickens love their greens and I try to "weave" their greens through the fence and they always manage to pull them out.[​IMG]

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Those are some happy looking hens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by