using a toe punch for the first time

Chris Herzog

Songster
8 Years
Oct 16, 2011
Covington
I’m looking for information on toe punching a chicken and have not been able to find much on it.

Is it like tail docking with dogs…best done at a very early age or is this something that can be done at any time?

Do I need to treat the foot before or after I use the toe punch to prevent infection?
Any tips would be great!

Thanks in advance,
Chris

I’m looking for information on toe punching a chicken and have not been able to find much on it.

Is it like tail docking with dogs…best done at a very early age or is this something that can be done at any time?

Do I need to treat the foot before or after I use the toe punch to prevent infection?
Any tips would be great!

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Hi Chris,
The toe punch is used on chicks, mostly. No prep or follow up is needed. The punch is used on the web between the toes and identification is through a combination of holes that you select, such as, one hole on the right web of the right foot, or one hole on the right web of both feet, etc., etc. By keeping a good record of the hole patern, you can tell which chick is from which breeding. The hole will never close up, but occasionally a web will be torn, so as the chicks feather out, I recommend wing banding for permenent identification. As I said, wing bands are permanent, but they can be removed, if desired. They are easy to see and the chicken won't lose them as in the case of some leg bands. They can be had in colors and numbered. Good record keeping is needed in any case, if you're serious and you must be if you are asking about toe punching. Have fun..........Pop

Thanks guys.

I have some birds that are 7 months old, some that are 6 months old and some that are 1 month old. These are all from the same line but all from different people. Right now I can tell them apart but in a few months I won't be able to. I guess I could do wing bands on the older birds and toe punch the 1 month old birds. Then just toe punch every thing I hatch accordingly.

Chris

Thanks guys.
I have some birds that are 7 months old, some that are 6 months old and some that are 1 month old. These are all from the same line but all from different people. Right now I can tell them apart but in a few months I won't be able to. I guess I could do wing bands on the older birds and toe punch the 1 month old birds. Then just toe punch every thing I hatch accordingly.
Chris
Here's a great source for supplies..........Pop

http://www.bellefarm.net/id14.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom