Using a water bottle instead of a bowl

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chili22, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Chili22

Chili22 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    Does anyone know if chickens can learn to use a regular water bottle that's used for a small animal instead of just a bowl?
    I know the poultry industry uses the same type of system.
    What is everyone's opinion?

2. kimf

kimf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Seminole County, FL
    I tried a regular rodent bottle and they just didn't seem to like it. So I switched to the rodent bottle with the little toggle, much like a nipple waterer. They do great!!

3. Chili22

Nov 19, 2011
    What do you mean with a toggle? Which one is that?

4. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
  5. Chili22

Nov 19, 2011
    Quote:Oh, that's cool. So there's proof it's possible. But do you think fully grown hens could switch over?

6. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Yup, grown hens will take to it fine. Just show your ladies it has water in it, and remove any other water source. The little stinkers are pretty smart. Its cute watching them drink from chicken nipples, LOL.

7. Chili22

Nov 19, 2011
    I guess it would be easier too if other chickens "showed" them how to use one? I should be getting a couple of industry layers so they'll know the concept.

8. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    I've used water bottles successfully on my grown flock and a hundred plus chicks from day one with great success. The bantams can drink out of the smaller bottles made for hamsters, rats & guinea pigs, the standards do best with the rabbit waterers, which have a bigger tube opening, and make sure they can reach it, that it is sealed tightly, and it is sterilized once a week and more in hot weather. I use (6) 64 oz water bottles in my run with 40 chickens. In the summer, I fill them every day. In cooler weather, twice a week. I use the heated rabbit water bottles, about 4 of them , in my coop during the winter. They leak a bit more because they are top-fill & don't vacuum seal.

Stay away from the "top fill" if you can avoid it. "Animal Farms" makes a 64 oz soft white plastic bottle, and it vacuum seals the best, along with its 16 oz & 8 oz counterparts.

The day your chicks have hatched, fluffed, and go into their brooder, you can introduce them to the bottle by putting a chick, or the oldest/alpha of the chicks, near the water bottle spout & pressing the little beak against the ball until water comes out. They'll get the idea very soon. If they don't, you can use a clear (glass) eye dropper with water to teach them. They love the silver water drop & will run for it.

9. Chili22

Nov 19, 2011
    Thanks for all the insight on the bottles. I think I'll give it a try! When I see how it works I'll let everybody know. [​IMG]

10. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    You can build something like this:
    [​IMG]
    Then they have full access to water with the convenience of the bottle. Make sure to add proper ventilation or it will create a vacuum

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by