Using a Yogurt Maker as an Egg Incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JCDA, Jan 12, 2011.

1. JCDA

JCDA New Egg

Jan 12, 2011
    Has anyone ever tried to use a yogurt maker as an incubator for their eggs? I was at a second hand thrift store and saw a bunch of these yogurt makers and had it as an idea. Just wondering if anyone ever tried it or what the more experienced hatchers out there think about this idea?[​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Hmmm...interesting idea. I had a yogurt maker many years ago and from memory of its size, it wouldn't fit too many eggs in it though.

3. JCDA

JCDA New Egg

Jan 12, 2011
    You are right about the size, but I think it could work for a classroom project or for people wanting to hatch a small number of button quail. I wasn't sure if I should buy it. I can't find any links on the internet of anyone trying it either.

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Well, it would be an interesting eggsperiment if you're willing to try it! Since they are at a thrift store, why not pick one up, plug it in and see what kind of temps you can hold in it and go from there? If it doesn't work, you can always make yogurt....[​IMG]

5. youngbiddy

youngbiddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    Yogurt makers are designed to maintain a temp of 115 F. I'm not sure how you would compensate for that.

6. JCDA

JCDA New Egg

Jan 12, 2011
    I'm not sure how to go about it, it would be my first time hatching eggs in 24 years. I have a button quail, who is laying right now and isn't broody, so I might give it a try after a trip to the thrift store and the pet store to grab a thermometer and a hygrometer.
    Any suggestions to try to get it right would be appreciated.

7. youngbiddy

youngbiddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    You'll definitely have to vent the excess heat, so you'll want to fire it up and test the temp. Maybe you'll get lucky and it'll run cool.

8. mispollitos

mispollitos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    i was just loading mine and had to search if it were possible to use a yogurt maker? Did the op decide to try it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by