1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Using Acorns to feed your chickens.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mgui35, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Mgui35

Mgui35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2010
    Sulphur Louisiana
    My chickens free range in the back yard. I have 6 large oak trees in my yard that are dropping acorns like crazy. When I go to feed my chickens they follow me like puppies all the way to the feed can. A few days ago I noticed they had stopped following me and were pecking something. When I walked across a concrete pad, I had crushed several acorns and they were eating them up. I gathered several gallons of acorns and crushed them and the feeding frenzy was on. I will pay a minimal food bill for the next month due to the love of acorns by my chooks. I hope this saves someone else some money due to feed being so high.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

That is great! People can use acorn flour too- there is a procedure to get the tannins? out first.

Your chickens must be so happy!

3. Mgui35

Dec 25, 2010
    Sulphur Louisiana
    They do seem to be happy. They come to me when I call them. I say "Chooky chooky chook chook, chookity chookity chook chook" and they come a running. First I look around to make sure nobody is watching me when I do this.

4. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    I thought I read in a book somewhere that acorns can cause the yokes to turn a green tint. It will be interesting to find out if that is true or not!

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Lol yes watch those neighbors! My closest neighbor set off his air horn at me when I was talking to my chickens too loudly. [​IMG]

6. Mgui35

Dec 25, 2010
    Sulphur Louisiana
    Quote:If the yolks do turn green then thats all the better due to the fact that my chickens are Ameraucanas. Now they can be green through and through!

7. Mgui35

Dec 25, 2010
    Sulphur Louisiana
    Quote:Lol yes watch those neighbors! My closest neighbor set off his air horn at me when I was talking to my chickens too loudly. [​IMG]

Too funny. He probably had a good laugh at your embarrassment for being caught.

8. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Quote:If the yolks do turn green then thats all the better due to the fact that my chickens are Ameraucanas. Now they can be green through and through!

[​IMG]

9. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    I remember where I read that oak trees are poisonous to chickens. It didn't specify if it was the tree bark, leaves, acorns. Anyone? I could be totally wrong on this.

10. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by