Using an Octagon 20 ECO for quail?

Epona142

Songster
11 Years
Apr 19, 2008
Bedias, TX
Some of you may remember my thread about quail hatching failure (look for an update to it in about a week) so I'm browsing other incubator choices that might make things more easy on me, because I REALLY want to raise quail.

I was looking at this incubator:

http://www.brinsea.com/products/octagon20eco.htm

Does anyone use this for quail? I did a search here on BYC and read over and over again how great it is, but I want quail raisers opinions! Does anyone know how many quail eggs it would hold.

Thanks!

If my calculations are correct you could probably fit 90 in there
smile.png
(maybe more).
smile.png
Id go for it!!!
big_smile.png

Well, I'm off to a good start! I sold my turner. Tomorrow someone is picking up one of our goat kids, and Saturday another, and if the last person picks up THEIR goat kid before the sale ends, I should have enough!

Here's hoping the sale lasts a little while longer!
fl.gif

Last edited:
I just hatched 24 quail using the ECO. It was a breeze and the incubator is the easiest to use ever! Temp never waivered and humidity was easy to keep at 40% unitl hatch time. I did not use an auto turner, but turning them 3 times a day was not a problem.

I was supposedly hatching Texas A&M quail (the eggs were pure and very expensive but got some browns mixed in with them). But they are healthy and eating like pigs. These are supposed to grow to be jumbo HUGE quail. They look like normal quail to me ...........

Last edited:
I hatched quail in the Brinsea Octagon 20 Advanced, but I also own the Octagon 20 Eco. It was my very first hatching experience and it went very well. I have hatched two batches of quail in it so far and have no complaints. I think that it is essentially foolproof. (With me being the fool that is most likely to screw this up!)

It can hold up to 60 quail eggs. I currently have both of my incubators going with 49 chicken eggs. If you're going to get an incubator, then this is the one to get!

We have a batch of Valley Quail eggs in our ECO now. This is our first time using it, but everything is great so far. Neither temp nor humidity has varied even a bit. My only issue is that the bars that hold the eggs in place are adjustable in fixed increments and the eggs just happened to be a size that left a little more movement than I'd like. I'm certain it won't be a problem in the long run, but it made placement just a bit difficult.

Quote:
that sucks John...
sad.png

Like im pretty sure i told you before, the bigger chicks hatch out of thebigger eggs for me (atleast iwth my birds) and they always stay bigger than the chicks hatched from the smaller eggs. I can know at hatching whos' jumbo. I am still rooting for you though hoping that they aren't lying and that they have a weird slow to grow strain?
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom