using apple cider vinegar?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lilbreeches, Apr 4, 2009.

1. lilbreeches

lilbreeches Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Delight, AR
    i have read several posts on using apple cider vinegar in your chickens water. does anyone do this on a regular basis and what are the benefits of this?

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I do it constantly. It helps with digestion and internal parasites somewhat. Mainly digestion.

1 tsp per gallon of water. Not distilled, flavored or white vinegar just apple cider vinegar.

3. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I also use ACV regularly, same as Cetawin. I try and use the raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar. Trader Joes has it. The chicks and chickens like it too.
    [​IMG]

4. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    also keeps down bacteria in water.

5. lilbreeches

Feb 13, 2009
    Delight, AR
    so would it be ok to use the ACV in their water if i change their water every other day? unless it is just really nasty, that is how often i change it.

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I've been using it too. I even put it in my bunny's water and sometimes for my dogs and cats too. They don't seem to mind a bit.

7. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo New Egg

Mar 24, 2009
    Alberta
    Just don't used galvanized waterers

8. lilbreeches

Feb 13, 2009
    Delight, AR
    Quote:well all my waterers are either plastic or rubber. so i guess that is good.

b.hromada :

I've been using it too. I even put it in my bunny's water and sometimes for my dogs and cats too. They don't seem to mind a bit.

wow, didn't realize everyone could partake in the greatness [​IMG] . may have to try it and see if everyone else likes it too. heck, i may even slip some in my hubby's water [​IMG] .

personally, I take ACV tablets everyday myself. they smell awful (unless you like the smell of vinegar) but no taste.​

9. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    lilbreeches,

You can also benefit, it is really good for digestion.

I change my water for the chickens every other day too, and I just add a little to that.

I also take a spoonful myself every morning in hot water. It is very good for you, but an aquired taste, I am fine with lemon but hate vinegar, I hold my nose.

the dog also gets a splash when I fill his bowl.

10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Benefits? Less illness (actually NO illness all these years) due to being a great immunity booster.

Bigger and better tasting eggs. When I forget or run out of ACV, my eggs get smaller on average and I don't get as many compliments on the taste. When I use the ACV, people rave over the taste compared to other farm fresh eggs. I didn't realize the pattern until just recently....which means I will not be running out of ACV anymore! [​IMG]

More female offspring~this has proven true with my rabbits and my chickens. I will be trying that theory out on sheep this year as well.

Some farmers give testimony to using ACV for:

Scours
    Bloat
    Parasites
    Glossier fur or increased growth and fineness of wool
    Increased female lambs/calves and more multiple births~sheep.
    Pink eye

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by