Using black splits....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Poulets De Cajun, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Can a black split pass on a copy of the single recessive lavender gene that they are carrying? Or does the dominant black prevent that?

2. blueoval1

blueoval1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    Do you mean if it is bred to a lavender I think it can.

If it is bred to a plain black I am not sure but I dont think so.

Maybe someone morr educated can give a better answer. But at least I bumped it up lol.

3. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Can a black split pass on a copy of the single recessive lavender gene that they are carrying? Or does the dominant black prevent that?

Yes a black bird heterozygous (split) for lavender can pass the lavender gene on to its offspring.....but unless it is being mated to either a homozygous (pure) lavender or another black heterozygous for lavender one wouldn't not see any lavender offspring.​

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    and if it only carries one copy of the gene, (which if it is black would be the case) then only half of the offspring would inherit the gene, on average.

5. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    You mean a split lavender!
    Problem is you can't keep track of the lavender gene this way, only half of his/her offspring inherit a lavendergene.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    And you won't know which half inherited [​IMG]

7. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Cool! I realize that it wouldn't show unless bred back to a full lavender, I was just curious.

I've been thinking more about using my black split cockeral in the blue/black breeding program because he is so nice. He doesn't have a single off color feather anywhere, and has the most brilliant green sheen I think I've ever seen on a bird.

I just didn't know if he could pass on his lavender gene or not, and how that might affect the black color of the offspring, since 'lavender' technically is a diluter.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    lavender only dilutes in two doses; until then it is essentially dormant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by