Using Bleach In Water To Cure Disease???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TwoCrows, Jul 8, 2011.

  1. TwoCrows

    TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

    32,123
    5,069
    601
    Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I went to my local feed store the other day to put together a "just in case" kit for my chickens. I expected to purchase some sort of antibiotic for any respiratory issues or internal infections along with other things that I thought I needed for this kit.

    I was told that putting a 1/4 cap full of bleach in one gallon of water will cure such things as cocci, respiratory illness, internal infections and such. Is this a true statement??

    Thank you for any information you can give me. I do have some Agrimycin left over from a year ago which I used on my quail for some minor infection and didn't know if it would work for things other than respiratory infections.

    -Leyla [​IMG]
     
  2. dawg53

    dawg53 Humble

    23,342
    1,231
    448
    Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I've heard of it being used, but personally I wouldnt if I had a problem with one of my chickens. Using bleach on soil where cocci oocysts are, would be ineffective...only ammonia can kill them. I would think the same would be true for a cocci infected chick/chicken. For CRD, I dont see how to treat that...put bleachwater in the lungs? Same for nasal and eye problems resulting from CRD issues. Maybe for bacterial infections in the guts, I can see a use for it. Even then, I still wouldnt use it...but that's me. ETA: I also believe it would kill good bacteria as well as bad bacteria.
     
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  3. RhodeIslandRedFan

    RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

    752
    3
    131
    Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I've done some reading on this site, and there are differing opinions on adding bleach to drinking water. Here are some BYC members' thoughts on this https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=452942&p=1 The dose I have seen is 1 teaspoon per gallon of water, as a cleaning agent and not for treating illnesses once they occur - the 1/4 cup suggested to you seems really excessive. While bleach can kill germs that cause illness, I have never heard of using it to treat illness. We'll see if others on here have...
     
  4. TwoCrows

    TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

    32,123
    5,069
    601
    Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:Wow, thanks RhodeIslandRedFan, that was one informative post. I am a bit nervous about using bleach in the water myself. Although all this information does give you something to think about. Thank you very much for the link to that post! [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  5. chkn

    chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,664
    10
    131
    Jun 27, 2010
    Yeah, it might be good for the roses but I don't know about the chickens! [​IMG] I do put a little splash into our fountain for the algae but I know animals drink out of it so I don't put in much.
     
  6. Imp

    Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

    A lot of people I know are very positive about the benefits of putting bleach in water. Say it stops a lot of disease problems immediately. And is a great preventative.

    Here's a copy of a PM.

    We were discussing this on the Washingtonians thread.

    http://www.westvet.com/collibacilliosis.htm
    Not
    just me, but the WSU lab. you must remember chicken lick poop in their water, and that most of us have BIG fonts, the chlorine in the water dissapates quickly as it is in it's natural state, a gas.
    That is why if you have aquiarium fish, you can let tap water sit (like in a 5 gallon bucket ) and the chlorine with evape out within 24 hrs.
    I have raised fish all my life.
    On top of that, most of us have well water, and therein lies the perfect recipe for e.coli to spread through a water font, or in our case, well water storage tank.
    We now chlorine out water before it goes in to the tank, instead of before it comes into the house.

    From the Society of the Preservation of Poultry Antiqities

    Add 1 oz Clorox bleach to each gallon of drinking
    water if birds are healthy: add 2 oz Clorox bleach to each
    gallon of drinking water if birds are sick. Birds transmit
    bacteria to one another mainly through their drinking founts.
    The bleach will kill these nasty little bugs. Periodically, you will
    need to empty and clean the water founts because the salts
    that are in the bleach will build up in their water. Use plastic
    founts/buckets when utilizing bleach. The bleach will rust out
    metal founts extremely fast.

    Hope this helps,

    Imp​
     
  7. chkn

    chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,664
    10
    131
    Jun 27, 2010
    Interesting. I always thought chlorine evaporated after awhile. It does sound more like a sanitary and preventive step.
     
  8. TwoCrows

    TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

    32,123
    5,069
    601
    Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:From the Society of the Preservation of Poultry Antiqities

    Add 1 oz Clorox bleach to each gallon of drinking
    water if birds are healthy: add 2 oz Clorox bleach to each
    gallon of drinking water if birds are sick. Birds transmit
    bacteria to one another mainly through their drinking founts.
    The bleach will kill these nasty little bugs. Periodically, you will
    need to empty and clean the water founts because the salts
    that are in the bleach will build up in their water. Use plastic
    founts/buckets when utilizing bleach. The bleach will rust out
    metal founts extremely fast.

    Hope this helps,

    Imp​

    Hmmm.....Now I am starting to change my tune. It does make sense. I am thinking I may give it a try. Thanks Imp [​IMG]
     
  9. Imp

    Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

    Hmmm.....Now I am starting to change my tune. It does make sense. I am thinking I may give it a try. Thanks Imp

    I should add that I do not use bleach in my water, but I have a tiny flock, just 2 right now. So disease can't run my flock, it's just 1 step. [​IMG]
    And I've never had a problem, but I saved the info because of the positive comment from some pretty sharp people.

    Imp​
     
  10. colebarnhart

    colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

    So depending on where you live or get your water, how much would be too much, if the water is already "treated" and would that small of an amount of bleach really mess with the metal waterers, or the metal in the nipple watering systems???
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by