Using breeding quality silkies to create show quality silkies...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by poultrycrazy, May 1, 2011.

1. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    Ok i know i have heard of it before and i know its possible. How can i prove to someone that this IS possible? I have a breeding quality black silkie with a not as large as it should be crest, and then i have 2 show quality hens and i figured the only way to know if they will create good offspring is to put them together and hatch some eggs right?

2. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

sounds good to me [​IMG]

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Sure that is a must if you want to continue to breed some good ones. after your first hatching then cross those off spring with your SQ's to get in upwards of 75% SQ.

4. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    HMMMM sounds good!

5. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    In my experience, it is better to choose birds with good type that might have another issue going on (my favorite because it's easy to cull for is double toenails, extra toes, etc,.. you can sell the ones with too few/too many at hatch).

These can be picked up cheap because they have an issue, even though they look nice otherwise.

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Sure that is a must if you want to continue to breed some good ones. after your first hatching then cross those off spring with your SQ's to get in upwards of 75% SQ.

This amazes me. In 50 years of breeding poultry I've never gotten anything close to 75% "SQ" birds from any mating & here's a formula for doing it in only 2 generations. Who knew it was so simple?

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  7. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

This amazes me. In 50 years of breeding poultry I've never gotten anything close to 75% "SQ" birds from any mating & hare's a formula for doing it in only 2 generations. Who knew it was so simple?

[​IMG] edited to add--I will be watching, too. I haven't even been alive 50 years, let alone breeding that long...but I've been lucky to get ONE or maybe TWO SQ birds out of hundreds of dozens of chicks or goslings I hatch per year. I am harsh when it comes to culling...but sometimes you have to be if you're going to make improvements in your line. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  8. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I'm just starting really and I just hope my first batch of chicks hatch! I'll be watching this thread

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by