Using concrete board for coop bottom?

Nov 30, 2021
Hi folks
I have a new cement board from a neighbour, usually used for inside shower walls, and wondering If I could use it for my coop floor? The side that would be exterior. I have to double floor it with insulation as it will be off the ground and I'm in an area where we get pretty cold winters. Thoughts on using this concrete board, since I have it, instead of plywood?

Last edited:
forgot location, my mistake. I'm in Southern Ontario, zone 6a. We get average winters -10 to -15 (Celsius) and pretty hot and humid summers can be in the 30s. I am only having three hens as I'm in an urban area. And ahh, good to know it's not waterproof. I might toss the idea out then!

forgot location, my mistake. I'm in Southern Ontario, zone 6a. We get average winters -10 to -15 (Celsius) and pretty hot and humid summers can be in the 30s. I am only having three hens as I'm in an urban area. And ahh, good to know it's not waterproof. I might toss the idea out then!
I'm in zone 5b so we have harsher winters. You truly do not need insulation in your coop. I offers housing for rodents and insects if they chew their way in.
You need to think DRY, not warm. You want lots of ventilation up high over the roosts. The best place for this is in the soffit area with good overhangs all the way around on the roof. You will want coordinating vents in the ridge and/or gable.

Yes, I understand the dry vs heat and ventilation stuff. I was not planning on insulating inside the coop, just planned on adding two layers of wood on floor so there is an air gap, to prevent drafts from underneath since the coop is raised up. I think I'll toss the cement board idea since it's not waterproof, I'd rather use treated/painted wood. Chickens are warm little creatures. Thanks!

Yes, I understand the dry vs heat and ventilation stuff. I was not planning on insulating inside the coop, just planned on adding two layers of wood on floor so there is an air gap, to prevent drafts from underneath since the coop is raised up. I think I'll toss the cement board idea since it's not waterproof, I'd rather use treated/painted wood. Chickens are warm little creatures. Thanks!
You don't need a double layer. There won't be a draft. Even if you used planking instead of plywood for the floor over the joists. You don't need a double layer.

To update- I never used the concrete board. I ended up using a scrap of linoleum countertop. It's heavy as hell so I'm confident the coop won't be blowing over:)

Not sure, like @DobieLover what you mean by "cement board". If you mean "cement backer board" (typically 3'x5' sheet, used for affixing tile to in bathrooms, kitchens, etc...) its both not waterproof (as Dobielover mentioned AND has almost no strength. Its not intended to be a structural element, and will in fact rapidly delaminate in wet conditions - at which point you can rip it with your hands.

If instead you meant "James Hardieboard" or similar product (usually 4' x 8'), I use it as the floor of my raised coop. Works great. I did set the joists a bit far apart, and got a crack in one when THREE! goats decided to hide from the rain in the raised coop (I had left the human door open), but otherwise its performed like a champ (I added another joist, and made no further repair efforts).

Back
Top Bottom