1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Using coturnix quail for dog training

Discussion in 'Quail' started by KeithKZ, Feb 6, 2017.

1. KeithKZ

KeithKZ Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2016
    For a long time I have read on this site and other numerous sites that it's a waste of time to use coturnix quail for dog training because these type of quail won't fly well at all. Well I am here to squash that myth once and for all.

While true, other types of quail such as the bobwhite will definitely fly better, if you raise your coturnix in a flight pen, they will certainly fly well enough for dog training and hunting. The key though is definitely using a flight pen. They have to be able to exercise enough in a flight pen first. Having them only in a cage type of pen will not enable them to fly well when you go to plant them in a field for dog training.

Bobwhite quail are still the quail of choice for most dog trainers/hunting however they will need a minimum of 16 weeks before they are old enough to fly well. Coturnix are fully grown at 6 (SIX) weeks of age. Also, bobs are typically $5/bird at this age. I can get coturnix for $3/bird.

I'm talking about regular sized coturnix....NOT jumbos.

I wanted to post this because if one only reads information about this online you'd swear using coturnix for dog training/hunting would be an absolute waste of time. I've bought these several times now from the same breeder here in southern Michigan and not only do his coturnix fly well, I get multiple flushes from the same birds.

2. Williams Quail

Williams Quail Just Hatched

Oct 12, 2016
    I might have to try that I tried to use my Cournix last fall before pa pheasant season and my lab would just catch them and bring them back to me so this year I will put them in the flight pen with the bobwhites and pheasants. thanks for the info

1 person likes this.
  3. KeithKZ

KeithKZ Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2016
    The other trick is to use them when they're 6-8 weeks old. Once the hens start laying they don't fly as well.

4. Williams Quail

Williams Quail Just Hatched

Oct 12, 2016
    That could have been part of the problem too I used leftovers from the beginning of the hatching season that I didn't sell and they were about 15 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by