Using DE for worming.

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by quail 247, Dec 29, 2012.

1. quail 247

quail 247 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2008
    I plan on using food grade DE as a preventative measure for worms for my pheasant, and I have a few questions, How much do you put in their food? and how often?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Oh, dear. Just a warning that you will most likely get some very conflicting viewpoints as to whether or not DE works internally at all. I tend to go with the camp that it does not, and use it to dry things out in the coop and as a mechanical, hopefully, preventative of external parasites.

I give mine pumpkin seeds (with the whole pumpkin) in the fall, which is said to work as a natural wormer. I doubt that it would work if there was a very heavy load of infestation, however...

And, I realize you only asked for amounts to add to food...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Based on the reading I have done I tend to agree with Yay. Some people use it and believe it works (if I remember correctly they were using medical grade and not food grade as well, which I am not sure is readily available? I would need to look it up again as it has been awhile) but more seem to think that the science is not there and that it is not very effective and can lead to dehydration. I use it exclusively for external use.

While DE is not toxic, there are lots of natural worm preventions that do not have the dehydrating effect. I know pumpkin is a really common one. And as Yay said it is a prevention not a treatment.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  4. quail 247

quail 247 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2008
    Thanks for the replys. I have never read that doesn't work, I always see everyone here praising it. I heard about pumpkins, It's probably going to be tough trying to find some at this time.

I have heard good things about ivermectin. But there are so many different kinds/applications, can anyone point me in the right direction as to which one to use?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by