Using DE

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by shoesky, Jul 28, 2010.

1. shoesky

shoesky Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Belleville
    We are having a hard time finding "food grade" DE. We have located a dealer who sells diatomite. They claim that is food grade DE. Is that true ? Our online research can not confirm or deny this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I got mine from Randall Burkey, but if you search diatomaceous earth (or DE) here, you will get a ton of answers. Good louck

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    minerals zone.com :

Diatomite is also known as Diatomaceous Earth, Kieselguhr, Kieselgur, and Celite.

http://www.mineralszone.com/minerals/diatomite.html

You can also get Diatomaceous Earth on line at Twin City Poultry and it runs $4.95 a 1/2 lb, $6.95 a lb or $11.95 for 2 lbs
    Here is the Link

Chris​

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  4. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    OORRR you could go to your feed store and get stall dry or another equally as effective and more readily available product. my feed store sells 50 lbs of DE for 20. I'm not impressed. I practically need a hazmet suit to use it. I have asthma and DE really does a number on me.

5. shoesky

shoesky Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Belleville
    Thanks for the feed back, we understand diatomite is the same as DE, but is it food grade? or an industrial filter product? Any users know the difference between the two products?

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If it doesn't SAY "Food Grade" on the package, it's NOT food grade, no matter what the SALESman tells you

7. Arcane Araucana

Arcane Araucana Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Fort Mohave
    Quote:Its easier to spell [​IMG]

But if it doesn't say "food grade" it's not food grade. I think food grade has been cleaned of microscopic impurities.

8. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    If you go to the Perma Guard website you can find a distributor in your area (hopefully).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by