1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Using DE?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 2DogsCoop, Jun 6, 2011.

1. 2DogsCoop

2DogsCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Can I use to much DE? I currently only use it once a week mainly in the cracks of the walls and in the dirt where the girls like to take dust baths. Is it ok to put some in the nesting boxes to help control insects? I just don't want to over do it but I also want to keep the insect population down. Any help? Thanks

2. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    From what I have read on FOOD GRADE DE... nope... you can't use too much.
    I got me some today for the first time and have been reading up on it...
    Someone else may say different, but this is what I have read.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, you can use too much--it gets pretty dusty if you overdo it. I do sprinkle some in the nests when I change out the bedding in them. I sprinkle some under the roost when it has been humid or rainy for days or when I haven't been able to get fresh bedding down for some reason. Just a weekly sprinkle is all I usually do and I use an old parmesan cheese shaker. You really don't need all that much to do the job. If you keep adding and adding, the dust cloud just gets worse when they scratch around in the coop.

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Just orderd some good to know! [​IMG]

5. 2DogsCoop

Mar 16, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Thanks, I bought a bottle that is used for applying hair products, it has a small tapered point that allows me to put it exactly where I want to. Just wanted to make sure, Thanks.

6. klen

klen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    PacNW
    where do you buy it? Can you get it at like Home Depot or Wilco?

7. 2DogsCoop

Mar 16, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Quote:My wife picked them up at Sally beauty supply.

8. klen

klen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    PacNW
    Quote:My wife picked them up at Sally beauty supply.

thank you.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You can't get food grade DE at Home Depot. MUST be food grade! Custom Milling sells goat feed and DE and they have individuals who are distributors across the East Coast and Midwest. If the person doesn't currently have it, he can get it in the next shipment for you. Prices are usually pretty good. Some feed stores can get it, but MAKE SURE it's really food grade, like Perma Guard.

http://www.custommilling.com/dealers.html

10. I'm1chickencuddler

I'm1chickencuddler Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    I have mites on some of my chickens and when I asked folks on here about it the other day...they said food grade DE. I went immediately to my feed store and got some.(a 50 lb. bag) $40 for 50 lbs. I sprinkled it on the girls we saw mites on and put some here and there around their yard where they take dirt baths and in the coop. The next morning we let them out and they did the usual dirt bath thing. The best part was the flies left immediately!! WOW... no kidding. IMMEDIATELY. One of my other girls( our silkie, Tigger) was acting a little down. I picked her up and checked her out.....mega mites everywhere on her. I treated her with the DE and did the yard treatment again. I'll let you know tomorrow how they are doing. I put a little DE on everybody. I am not wanting the mite infestation to continue. I do know, after all the research I did on DE that it's safe for you to eat and give to your pets in their food too if they have worms or other parasites. It is supposed to be great in the garden as well. I just want the mites off my chickens....Good luck.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by