using diatomaceous earth question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Billy-jean, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Billy-jean

Billy-jean Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Hello,,
    I have been using the food grade diatomaceous earth since april,,
    I love it,and have endured no parasite problems! Love the stuff,,,but I am curious to know how many others
    use this as well,in their coops for prevention of any major mite/louse breakouts. Also,when using it,,I avoid breathing it in at all costs,,but when
    I do a major coop clean out I use a dust mask to prevent inhaling the dust. I'm hoping this is a good ,safe measure,,anyone else want to join in the
    diatomaceous earth topic? feel free!

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I also use food grade DE. I have laid it down in the coop and in the girls 3 X 5 sandbox that they are in most of the day on the jungle gym and dust bathing in. When you let them out of the coop and let them find places they like to hang in I dust. It maybe over kill but LICE, who likes lice but LICE, right?

Steve

3. Billy-jean

Jun 13, 2011
    yes,,I'm talking about lice and mites ect,, [​IMG] Do you wear a mask when you clean out the stalls/coops ? Because the dust flies!
    Just curious,never did it before this year,I love it,but I'm concerned about the health issue with breathing it in.
    I use it on the flooring and where they sleep. I don't think it's overkill! haha!

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    no mask but maybe I should now that you mention it? [​IMG]

Steve

5. wannalive

wannalive Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    tamms/elco Illinoiis
    also,how many of you feed it as well.. i mix and handfull in every time i feed the chicken,goats,dogs.

6. Billy-jean

Jun 13, 2011
    I mix it in their feed as well as my rabbits and ducks [​IMG] I just pour some in the bin and mix it in good,

7. Piper1998

Piper1998 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    Got a trio of kittens this summer who all came to us with horrible parasite infestations of all kinds. Employed DE on the flea comb, in the food dish, and in the litter and they're healthy and gorgeous - parasite free. I give it to the chickens in their feed, add it to their litter, and no problems at all.

8. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I use it as too: coop, nest boxes, dust bath box and feed it too.

9. binders

binders Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
    Does everyone wear dustmasks? I never thought of that and was wondering if it is neccessary?

10. Billy-jean

Jun 13, 2011
    I was told to wear it when spreading it,or cleaning the coop out, because the dust flies everywhere.
    I just went to canadian tire and grabbed a pack of 6 for $2.99(dust masks)..totally worth it, and
    better to be safer than sorry. Might as well use one at least when you're cleaning out a big job,spring and fall cleanings.
    otherwise I know it's completely safe to touch,eat whatever, but breathing it in can be dangerous as I guess any dusts are right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by