Using different lights for candling eggs. Which one is the best one?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by adorable, May 28, 2010.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    I have used all different kinds of flashlights and made some with boxes ect. I can see threw shades ranging from whites to light blues...But when it comes to greenish ,browns. Dark blues. I cant see a thing. Is there a light strong enough to see threw these eggs. Or just chance it. ?I looked on berryhill site. Has any one like any of those ones and if they can see threw the dark eggs.?

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  2. housetree88

housetree88 New Egg

May 11, 2010
    I am kind of new to this. I have only incubated 2 sets. My first hatch was a great success 13/18. I say it was great because the lady I got the eggs from told me she was giving me extra eggs from a rooster she was testing to see was fertile or not. Those extra 4 eggs did not hatch. However, the 2nd time around, I used shipped eggs. I didn't have much :/success. Of the 8 eggs I ordered, only 2 hatched. 1 egg began leaking in the incubator on day 8. Because of this, I decided to try candling the rest of the eggs. I had 4 Welsummer eggs. I asked my husband to bring in the flashlight he keeps in his worktruck which is a 3 cell MagLite. I used an empty toilet paper roll and had to turn out all the lights in my kitchen completely. It was a little tricky, but we were able to see through them enough to find the air cells. I didn't candle again until day 22. They had never developed. I don't know why though.

3. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Has anyone bought a candler from berryhill.And which ones do they like best. And is it strong enough to go threw dark eggs?

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I have all light brown layers.

To candle, i use a lamp with a 100 watt bulb, covered by a plastic planter, all in a dark closet. I can see the air cells just fine.

I'm wondering (because i've never candled a white egg) if it's so much easier to see with the lighter egg that it's just hard to adjust your eyes. It takes me a couple of minutes to kind of zone my eyes in and see what i need to see in my incubating eggs.

I've never used a store-bought candler, sorry. My monstrosity of a lamp/planter/candler is working well enough for me so far. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by