Using different types of waterers?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Moselle, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    So I have gathered that it is best to use a nipple-type waterer with chicks from the beginning for best results. But once the chickens are comfortable with the nipple-type waterer, will they also use a regular waterer? Or will they not use both types?

My idea is to train the chicks on a nipple waterer until I put them outside (maybe at 6-8 weeks old) and then keep a 64oz nipple-type water bottle inside the henhouse and a regular (larger) waterer outside in their run. My worry is that once they use the regular waterer, they'll prefer that and won't use the water bottle inside their henhouse.

We'll only have 6 hens and they'll spend most of their time outside, but I want to make sure they have water available when they're shut in for the night.

What do you think - worth a try?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I use a nipple water for chicks as it leaves less wet spots on the floor due to chicks running though water. However, if given the choice of nipple and regular water, they almost always go for the regular water and drink all that up first. So if you want them to use nipple water, only let them use nipple water. They have no problem learning how to go to regular water. They do have problems learning how to go back to nipple waters though.

My experience, others may vary. Worth a try... since I have one hen who waits till they are all let out to go share water from a dripping hose with the cat...

3. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    So it sounds like they would rather go thirsty inside the henhouse with the water bottle and wait until they could get to the regular waterer in the run? Stubborn things [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by