1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Using DMSO on chicks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by itsy, Aug 9, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I have a weak chick who doesn't like to stand. His hocks are sore and red.

What are the general feelings of using DMSO on chicks? I was thinking of dipping a cotton swab in it and putting it on his hocks.

The other chicks are growing, and he is staying small. I stand him up by the water and he drinks - I hold food in front of him and he eats.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I don't think I would, honestly. Any idea why he's not standing? Leg issues in chicks rarely resolve satisfactorily, but it may not be a leg issue, exactly.

3. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Thanks for responding. I made a post about it here , but it certainly isn't resolved. There are photos in that thread.

He's smaller than the others. He CAN stand - he just doesn't for long and he can walk, but he doesn't do that for long either. Every time I bring him to the water he drinks. When I bring food to him, he eats. He tries to cuddle up with the other chickens, but they walk over him often.

I can't physically see anything wrong with him. I thought he'd just need more time to catch up....

4. speckledhen

I read it, but no idea what the trouble is except maybe a genetic weakness in the hock joint or something along those lines. He'll have to soon get going or he won't thrive, I'm afraid. Leg issues aren't something that you can usually fix, unfortunately, and when there is a leg issue, there are often others internally that you can't see.

5. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Thanks, Cynthia. Either way he goes - I hope he does it soon.

6. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I just found the chick dead. He was flipped over on his back. I didn't expect him to flip.....

7. speckledhen

I'm sorry, though not really surprised. Was probably something else going on inside.

8. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Thank you! That's nature for ya.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by