Using Egg Cartons in the hatcher

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lavenderman, Feb 17, 2009.

1. lavenderman

lavenderman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2008
    Hi Newby here, I have seen references to having eggs hatch in an open egg carton inside the incubator instead of just laying the eggs on the wire, why is that ?
    I have Khaki Campbells coming along nicely in my Hovabator 1588 with auto rack turner and am planning on using my Hovabator 1602 as the hatcher. Hatching is due on or around March 3rd.
    Thanks for your input.

2. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    It's the only way I hatch, now. 99% of the time they position themselves correctly, and it seems to be easier for them to get out. The chicks don't knock the other eggs around, and cleanup is a breeze. I try to space the eggs out so they have room to move, but otherwise, I won't hatch with them lying down anymore. It works great! [​IMG]

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Hatching in a carton helps the chicks/ducks get out faster, and have an easier time doing so. The reason is this. When the ducks are hatching on wire, the egg rolls around, or gets kicked around by the ducks that have already hatched, thus making the ducks still in their eggs have to readjust. This way, the eggs dont roll around and the ducks can get out easier. It also provides for easier cleanup.

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Gosh this thread is timely!

I've been wondering about incubating as well as hatching in egg cartons. The link posted by bodyflight of Purple Chicken's hatch of (I think) quail eggs indicated he did the incubation in cartons, too. I can see where that would be helpful...but on the other hand, I also know that air ciculation is extremely important for hatching eggs, too. If you incubate in a carton, they wouldn't get as much air circulation....right? Yes, PC got an awesome hatch (22 out of 25). It makes me wonder if air circulation is near as important as I've been led to believe...

6. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Do you cut the bottoms out or not??? Thinking of trying a carton and wondered how many cut bottoms out??

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I do not.

8. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    This is what chicken women does: "I cut the lid off and trim about a quarter of the top off so whan the egg sit in it it is only half in the carton. I cut a hole in the bottom of each one about the size of a dime to let air circulate. I prefer to use the cardboard ones." I plan on doing this next month myself. [​IMG]

9. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    When I incubate in a carton, I cut the bottoms off. When I hatch in a carton, I don't. That way the eggshells stay in the carton and you just pull the whole thing out.

10. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Tori,
    I heard that you had to have a hole in the bottom to let the humidity in. I like the idea of not having to clean up the egg shells. I just might give it a try. Have you had problems with this method? Thanks....and sorry to high-jack this thread. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by