Using fish tank as brooder?

callen0912

Chirping
Jan 31, 2015
Would it be completely crazy to use a fish tank as a brooder? I have an old one that's 48.25"L x 12.75"W x 20.187"H.

How many chicks do you plan on putting in it? I've used my 55 gallon tank as a brooder on several occasions, it worked well and my kids loved being able to see the chicks from all angles. The chicks I've brooded in it also seemed to get used to us pretty quickly and were friendly little nuggets. It was also easy to clean, another plus. If you've got a bunch, they wont be able to stay in it long though. I only used mine for the first few days, then they moved to my outside brooder. You'll also want to make sure you don't over heat them. I used a 40 watt bulb in mine (on one end) and covered the top with hardware clothe so it had plenty of ventilation.
Good luck :)

How many chicks do you plan on putting in it? I've used my 55 gallon tank as a brooder on several occasions, it worked well and my kids loved being able to see the chicks from all angles. The chicks I've brooded in it also seemed to get used to us pretty quickly and were friendly little nuggets. It was also easy to clean, another plus. If you've got a bunch, they wont be able to stay in it long though. I only used mine for the first few days, then they moved to my outside brooder. You'll also want to make sure you don't over heat them. I used a 40 watt bulb in mine (on one end) and covered the top with hardware clothe so it had plenty of ventilation.
Good luck :)

Probably only 4, maybe 5 at most.

I use totes and they are about the same size as that. Brooded over a dozen chicks in them. I put chicks outside to grow out pen between 3 and 4 weeks so yeah it starts to get crowded but doable.

The risk is that you can easily overheat them, whether totes, aquariums, or anything else. That’s not a bad size for that number of chicks but try heating just one end and make sure the far end is cooler than it should be. That way they can find their comfort zone and each chick might have a different comfort zone. One way that can help with this is to put a wall partway across so they can get out of the direct path of heat.

Many many chicks are raised in brooders like that. Good luck and welcome to the adventure.

I use totes and they are about the same size as that. Brooded over a dozen chicks in them. I put chicks outside to grow out pen between 3 and 4 weeks so yeah it starts to get crowded but doable.
Great! Unless I find a coop before then, I asked a family member to help me build a coop, but they aren't available to help until beginning of March.

What is a tote? I will be getting some chicks tomorrow and also need a brooder idea I was thinking of cardboard box but then discovered the water and poop might be bad!

Last edited:
Plastic totes (boxes) that people use for storage. Come in all sizes and you obviously don't keep the lid on and only heat one side.

I use 60W incandescent bulb with metal hood fixture. Pine shavings for bedding and put paper towels over it when chicks are first hatched for a flatter surface. They'll have the paper shredded in three days and good to go with the shavings.

Last edited:
Oh my yes a tote! I call it a bin I wasn't thinking. I wish I could keep mine is a glass too so we can view but I have 8 it might be to crowded. Thanks:)

Last edited:
Yes a BIG BIG YES..., wish I had a big tank like yours..... I luv more natural stuff. I bought a 10 gallon used aquarium last week... only used it for one day.. cause with 7 chicks looked crowded.. But if I could have kept the food to the walls or up in the air would have used it longer
So now I am using the Xmas tree big tote....just hate the thought og plastics.... well anyway......they luv jumping and running back and forth...I call them all sillybutts... could stand there and watch chick TV for hours....Gonna find the swing Hubbymade last year and find a little roost.....
thanks yall just commenting

Back
Top Bottom