Using food grade Diatomaceous Earth, DE?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by teresac, Jan 21, 2009.

1. teresac

teresac Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2009
    Blairsville, GA
    Anyone who uses DE, I would love to hear how you use it for your chickens, dogs and/or self. I have been reading and it seems like a no-brainer for my new flock of chicks. Where do you purchase yours? Any info would be great![​IMG] I am an info junkie!! Thanks.

2. Galloloco

Galloloco Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2008
    I buy it from Randall Burkey and from a local horse feed store. I mix it with the chicken food, I put it over the wood shavings in the coop and mix it in in their dust bath box too

3. teresac

teresac Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2009
    Blairsville, GA
    Thanks! How much do you use? Just sprinkle it? As a Newbee to this...I had to google "what a dust bath is" lol. I got it now.

4. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I too use DE. I just sprinkle in the coop, lightly dust the roosts and the nest boxes. On occasion I add a light top dressing to the feed.

My feed store has repeatedly told me they can and will get it in for me but so far it has been months of empty promises. [​IMG] Makes me wish I had more options of who to give my business to for feed !!! So I have been buying online. Normally I buy a small bag on ebay as a little goes a long way really.

Julie [​IMG]

5. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Why not just buy it yourself? Freshwater Organics has it in 10 pound bags for $37.00 delivered, 50 lbs for $64.00 delivered. I buy it from them because no one locally carries it, and itf I get it special ordered I'll pay that price anyways.

6. Reinbeau

Quote:But what are the shipping costs? They don't state it on the page.

I did the order info, total for 50 lbs is $61.23. It's the shipping that kills ya.

7. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    10- 50# bags are $471.89 shipping included
    This was the cheapest place that I found. I have not dealt with them. Anyone up for a phone call? 1-800-228-5836
    Custom Feed Svcs. Corp.
    Norfolk, Nebraska

8. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
  9. Reinbeau

Quote:Again, put the price with shipping. Actually this link is pretty good, with shipping, it would be $42.53 delivered to me. They're using Fedex, cheaper than UPS.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by